• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Yukon vs. Warn vs. Superior

1toughxj

NAXJA Forum User
Whats the overall concensus on chromoly axle strength and quality for the following manufacturers. Yukon, Warn, and Superior. I was pricing Waggy front axles for my HP44 front and it seems that the Yukons are priced quite a bit less than the other manufacturers out there on the market. Are they not up to the standards of the Warn and Superior???

Ben
2001 XJ

I've heard of some minor fitment problems with the Yukons, and the consensus is generally that the Superiors are the best, followed by Warn, then Yukon. (funny how the price reflects the quality, imagine that...) I have however been encouraged by some good customer service stories from Randy's R&P regarding the Yukons.

Personally, I would run the Yukons with the Yukon/Jantz joints, but mine is a low budget build and only running 35s. If you have bigger than 35s or just really want the best, it doesn't get much better than Superiors with CTMs.

Yukon's are imports. Superior and Warn are not.

When I did my HP44, I did the Warn outers, (smoking deal on ebay) custom made Dutchmen domestic inners, (Superior blanks) with CTMs. I'm running 35s.

I got the Yukons on the way. Just wanted to know what I was getting. Really couldn't beat the price. Right now I am on 33's, but I will be getting 35's once I have to convert to the 5 on 5 1/2 bolt pattern. I have the Superior Super 44 kit with the 33 spline axles in the rear geared with 4.88's. I am finishing up on the front Ford HP44 narrowed to use Waggy axles with RE brackets up front. I have an Ox Locker ready to go in the front with the Yukon axles. Still trying to decide on the U-joints up front. The Randy's guy was trying to sell me their Superjoints which I assume are the Yukon/Jantz that your referring to. He said they may be a couple months out on having them ready. Are the CTM's worth $400? I'm not sure, but if I broke any other u-joint on a trail, I know I would regret not getting the CTM's.

TRNDRVR said:

Don't always assume that is a bad thing.

And are you sure your Superiors and Warns are not being made overseas???

Dirk Pitt said:

good point....my D44 4.10 up carrier was made in Venezuala (SP)...

TRNDRVR said:

They were imports, i believe now they are mad in the US, i could be wrong but i believe that was what i was told the last tim i talked to them. IIRC there was also a magazine article not to long ago about there new plant and machining operations. i'll see if i can find it.

Dingo

1toughxj said:
I got the Yukons on the way. Just wanted to know what I was getting. Really couldn't beat the price. Right now I am on 33's, but I will be getting 35's once I have to convert to the 5 on 5 1/2 bolt pattern. I have the Superior Super 44 kit with the 33 spline axles in the rear geared with 4.88's. I am finishing up on the front Ford HP44 narrowed to use Waggy axles with RE brackets up front. I have an Ox Locker ready to go in the front with the Yukon axles. Still trying to decide on the U-joints up front. The Randy's guy was trying to sell me their Superjoints which I assume are the Yukon/Jantz that your referring to. He said they may be a couple months out on having them ready. Are the CTM's worth $400? I'm not sure, but if I broke any other u-joint on a trail, I know I would regret not getting the CTM's.

Be forewarned that the Yukon stubs may not fit through the Dana44 knuckles. I got a few as spares and all of them didn't fit.
We actually had to grind one while on the trail to make it fit when fixing OneTon's broken junk earlier this year.

Jes said:
We actually had to grind one while on the trail to make it fit when fixing OneTon's broken junk earlier this year.
Fawking OneTon, always holding up the crowd. :D

Dirk Pitt said:

My Superior's have stamped 'USA' right on the u-joint wing. I admit I'm not sure about my Warns. When I had my axles made by Dutchman, I had the choice of imports (Yukons) or domestic (Superiors).

As far as my axles are concerned, I'd always take domestic over import any day. That's of course I'm not on the trail broke and in a desperate situation. Then I'd be anyones whore. :D

i remember reading somewhere that Yukon is a buy and re-box company for the most part as far as ring gears go - any truth to that?
does that cross over to axle shafts too?

from my own research:
Superiors are made in this country all in house -
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PR-BV60/index2.html

read the "[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=+2]Compared to the Alternatives" section.

not to say that Bill has any info better than I do - but it is a good read...
[/size]
[/font]

Back