• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lights flickering

99xjnhboy

NAXJA Forum User
Alright i just searched the forum and couldn't find a post with the same probelm. Alright, when i have my lights on and the fan is running at the same time my lights flicker. It is a very small flicker but it is enough to make me concerned. Could this be my alternator or a shortage? Please any feed back would be greatly appreciated!!

Sounds like the old XJ needs to go to the electrical shop- could be bad ground, weak alt.,weak battery, fan motor pulling excessive amperage, etc...

I've had 4 xj 97-00 and they all had a slight flicker when the fan kicks in. Slightly annoying and my first thought was hmmmmmmmmmmm. But I feel it's kinda common and nothing to worry about as long as it is only a slight flicker right at the fan startup. I could be wrong on that but 4 Jeeps in a row with the same behavior leads me to that conclusion.

Ryan

i wonder if you converted over to new style headlights from the sealed beam if that would help at all. i think theyre called HID or H4?

HID lights are a totally different lighting system than your stock or the H-4 conversion. The H-4 kits use light bulbs that can be bought just about any where, and can be had in everything from halogen to xenon to "silvavania Sliverstars". HID is REALLY expensive still around the better part of $700 while the H-4 conversion can be done for as little as $50. The H-4 conversion kits plug into your stock light harness, and is a real easy up-grade. I am using the housings from APC that I bought for $40, a set of H-4 bulbs for $10, and have no complaints with the light output, or the visibilty increase. My low beams are much brighter than the high beams were, and the high beams are REALLY bright. Also, the lenses on the APC housings are GLASS, not plastic, like some "other" kits. Overall, I am very pleased with just the H-4 conversion, and I plan to install an upgraded loom for my head lights this weekend to see how big an improvement that will make. The light [attern is more of a "pool" in front of the MJ, with a good range on low, and on high beam, there is a "pool" still, but you have a longer range of visibilty.

Back