• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Seat Belt swap advise

aplatz

NAXJA Forum User
I've read all the treads on seatbelts, but my question is this: I've got a '96 w/ a busted pass. side retractor. I found a '88 parts Jeep that was a postal vehicle and has only 43K on it. If I swap out the retractor w/ webing AND the female end will everything be ok? No differences that will inhibit it from working properly right? Maybe I'll be lucky and find a D44 under it!

I've swapped out belts from an 87 into another 87, everything went good. You're going to need a torx socket, i don't remember the size. if it's a 4 door you'll need to remove the plastic kickpanel then you'll have to take off the panel that covers the seat belt retractor. take off the torx right above your shoulder where the belt hangs on the b pillar. take off the torx that bolts down the retractor on the very bottom front of the b pillar. you're golden. if it's a two door like mine, there's going to be a small rail right next to the bottom of the seat, loosen torx, loosen torx that belt hangs on (b pillar), loosen torx on seat belt retractor....golden

aplatz said:
I've read all the treads on seatbelts, but my question is this: I've got a '96 w/ a busted pass. side retractor. I found a '88 parts Jeep that was a postal vehicle and has only 43K on it. If I swap out the retractor w/ webing AND the female end will everything be ok? No differences that will inhibit it from working properly right? Maybe I'll be lucky and find a D44 under it!

I have a '91 that is broken on the other side. I got another buckle and figured everything was good until I found out it is too small for the belt I have. So good luck to you!

-Von

That's why I'm getting the whole thing (belt and latch) I just wasn't sure if the tread is different from '88 to '96. I'm pretty sure it'll be a direct swap. I've had them out before when swapping carpets, but thanks for the replies anyway.

Well, I never did fix it, but now I have a '96 donor, but it's a 2 door. Any differences betweenm the 2 & 4 door? Just want to be safe before I drive to the junk yard and pay $40. I doubt it, but want to make sure.

Does anybody know of any generic belts or other makes that swap in?

My retractor was busted.....and I took off the plastic covers.....then found the same metal coils from another jeep in the junk yard. If you go this route, be careful when taking off the cover.....because it could mess up your hands. Just wear some good gloves. Anyway, it made things really easy....as I didn't have to replace the whole seatbelt.

There is a difference between two and four doors at least in the earlier models.
They attach at the bottom differently, and they're a different length, because the two door version mounts further back.

When a retractor spring on my 87 broke I went through a good deal of hassle. The latches were different and also the mechanical design of the retractor. What I can't remember now is whether or not the later retractor would even fit the mount in the door post. I ended up getting a similar one of a different color and rebuilding my old retractor.

Back