• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

driveline clunk

scotttruhart

NAXJA Forum User
hi
99 xj, 4.0 auto tranny.

since new i get a clunk if i go from reverse to D while at a complete standstill with foot on brake. if i let it roll a bit as i shift i get no noise at all infact a very smooth shift.

i have been told my dealer since day 1 that its driveline slop and a hollow shaft makes teh sounds louder. although at 35k they replaced teh spider gears. this is teh 8.25 rearend.

any one else get this clunking sound...
i have 90k now and plan to drive this a long time as im told the 4.0 is a 300k engine.

i was thinking mayby the u jonts in back are loose??
thanks
scott

The slipjoint where the driveshaft meets the t-case needs to be greased. It's pretty common though, an in part is due to the slipjoint and the rear suspension; when you apply the brakes while stopping the suspension gets bound up slightly. Shifting 'R' to 'D' will unload that tension quickly. You'll see the same thing with it when stopping and then hitting the gas although it shouldn't be that severe.

I have the exact same problem. I've checked under the vehicle while a friend shifts back and forth from reverse to drive and everything seems tight. I see the snap right at the pinion with the rear axle actually moving about a half inch up and down. I know its not play in the rear end because I've checked it after removing the drive shaft(which is also tight including the slip shaft and the u-joints). I think it has something to do with the fluid pressures in the AW4 transmission and that its either starting to fail or its just that some of these transmissions have a very crisp shift when going from reverse to drive. I'm thinking about getting some of those leaf springs that JC Whitney sells which should cut down on the noise coming from the rear end on mine. I've also checked the tightness of everything else such as the trans/transfer case mount. Anybody with any ideas? My stock rear leaf springs are pretty much flat and I think with new leaf springs I wouldn't get so much movement with the axle.

check the u joints in the DS and if they are loose, replace them. also use a super sticky and thick grease to lube the slip joint on the DS as well. if you use thin grease it wont last long. i read somewhere someone used antiseize and it lasted a while. i dont know how well antiseize is to get into the transfer case though. may be a bad thing?

Lil Stinky said:
I have the exact same problem. I've checked under the vehicle while a friend shifts back and forth from reverse to drive and everything seems tight. I see the snap right at the pinion with the rear axle actually moving about a half inch up and down. I know its not play in the rear end because I've checked it after removing the drive shaft(which is also tight including the slip shaft and the u-joints). I think it has something to do with the fluid pressures in the AW4 transmission and that its either starting to fail or its just that some of these transmissions have a very crisp shift when going from reverse to drive. I'm thinking about getting some of those leaf springs that JC Whitney sells which should cut down on the noise coming from the rear end on mine. I've also checked the tightness of everything else such as the trans/transfer case mount. Anybody with any ideas? My stock rear leaf springs are pretty much flat and I think with new leaf springs I wouldn't get so much movement with the axle.
snug down the u bolts holding the axle to the springs and see if your bushings are worn. i replaced mine with poly bushings on the leafs and some clunks went away. the ride is stiffer a bit but definitely less slop on the leaf spring end of the business. if your springs are flat, replacing them, adding a add a leaf will help keep the axle form rolling when you give it gas. new fresh leaf springs or a stiffer leaf pack will lessen the rear axle's tendency to roll pinion.

Another thing with mine... it only does it when the vehicle is warmed up. When cold it shifts from reverse to drive without any clunk/loud noises. You would think with the cold idle it would be worse. Thats why I'm thinking it has something to do with the pressures in the transmission.

Lil Stinky said:
Another thing with mine... it only does it when the vehicle is warmed up. When cold it shifts from reverse to drive without any clunk/loud noises. You would think with the cold idle it would be worse. Thats why I'm thinking it has something to do with the pressures in the transmission.
My 90 used to do this, however when I put my Chrysler 8.25 in (I assume just changing to an axle that wasn't as worn) it fixed it almost completely. This makes me think it can even be slop in the axle as well as slop in the ujoints, I'm not positive though.

My ujoints are fine but I'm starting to think it might have something to do with the pinion angle because my leaf springs are flat which also allows the rearend to flex when shifting into gear. I only get a small amount of movement in the pinion when I checked it so I'm looking into other possible causes besides play in the axle.

Back