• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just Starting Out...

DBenz

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

I've been lurking/searching around this board for a while now with my 88 Laredo and recently traded it in for a 97 country. Like everyone else, I want to lift it to be more capable off road. I've done many searches and gathered information about gearing, tire sizes, driving quality, different tire behaviors, etc.

I've narrowed my lift choices down to two RE lifts: 3.5" super flex and the 4.5" super flex. Although I can read people's comments on others applications all day, I am easily persuaded by people telling ME what they think I should be doing. This will be my DD and I would run 31x10.50s with the 3.5 or 32x11.50 with the 4.5.

Looking at the part list for each lift, the 4.5" lift is a very complete system that comes with many things that the 3.5" lacks. It's basically a highly upgraded 3.5 with larger coils up front.

I'm already looking into buying an SYE/Hack n Tap and then using a front drive shaft of an XJ (w/ AW4) for either application (3.5 or 4.5)

What do you think would be best? Please keep flaming to a minimum, I have thick skin, but felt I needed people to address my personal situation. I've done my fare share of searching....

Welcome to the beginning of an empty bank account. RE will let you swap parts out of their lifts for credit and such. Because this is your DD and you didn't mention what type of offroad situation you will be in I would suggest going with drop brackets for your control arms and going with adjustables with rubber bushings all around and nix the heim joints. I don't run them personally, but from what I have read I would ditch the RE disconnects and go with the JKS. I don't know about others, but I wouldn't suggest the 11.5 unless you plan on trimming maybe think about a 32x9.5 or something. When you purchase tires go to the manufacturers website and be certain to look at the dimensions; you'll quickly notice that they don't all measure up per say. It will seem like a lot of money in the beginning if you swap parts out of a lift kit and add what might seem like gravy, but you'll end up with a ride that you enjoy and you will not be replacing parts down the road which would mean spending even more.

I will most likely just be wheeling on the weekends. There's a place about a hour or so away called Tuttle Creek. It's got trails, mud, and some rocks.

Start small, learn as you go and get bigger as experience and paychecks allow. Depending on your budget and mechanical ability, start with a bolt on or start buying used.

I have to agree with badcop here. have you attempted to wheel your stock XJ? I think that you will find that it is very capable. Instead of jumping in with a lift why not purchase some skids, rockrails, more aggressive(235/75/15) then go from there. It's not as sexy, but then again you'll end up with more $$ in your pocket and a very capable XJ.

Back