• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front axle disconnect.

summitlt

NAXJA Forum User
I tried to do a homemade posilock and it works, but doesnt seem strong enough and I really done want to to fail on me out in the middle of nowhere.

I know the newer XJs have a 1 piece axleshaft anway. I was going to shim the shift motor to keep the frontend engauaged all the time. Are there any ill effects on an older MJ? (1990)

No bad effects that I know, unless you somehow manage to strip the stub shaft/lock collar. Just make sure that you have the fork shimmed well, fully engaged, and put it back together. Also, make sure to cap off the vac. lines going to the axle, otherwise you will have a vac. leak.(duh)
Ren

summitlt said:
Are there any ill effects on an older MJ? (1990)

Nothing other than a teensy decrease in gas mileage, since the front DS will be spinning fulltime. I shimmed my CAD over (87 MJ) when I converted so I didn't have to screw with all the vac lines. Been running for about 10K miles since and the only problem I had was a stretched set of UJ straps.
Jeff

Back