• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

U joint bearing cap grease fittings; good or bad?

urbanXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Could anyone comment on their expirence with U joint bearings that have the grease fitting (zerk?) in the bearing cap, instead of one in the body of the joint?

I had the CV joint on my T. Woods driveshaft (great shaft!) rebilt because the upper joint failed. This failed I guess because I never lubed it. I never lubed it because I thought it was a sealed joint/bearing. Turns out the 1310 spicer joint had flush grease fitting installed. I thought they were plugs....now I know.

Anyway, C T Driveshaft in houston rebuilt it for 120$ + tax. Got it back the same day too.

So I ask the question; has anyone used these bearing caps with grease fittings on u-joints, and if so how did they last?

LUBE YOUR JOINTS OFTEN!
and if your rig sounds like a helicopter driving down the road check your joints.

Thanks for any feedback!

I have been using them for years in my Dodge Power wagon. To me I think there the best of both worlds. The strength of sealed type (no cross drilling) and the long life of the greaseable type.

The only "real" trouble that I have had is that once in awhile, I will smack a rock or log, and pop the grease zerk off. Other than that, I actually like the tru-the-cap style since it is easier to grease than the normal style. If I ever get "smart" (yeah,right) I will use the needle or high-pressure style like you have, and not have to deal with changing busted zerks anymore. I have not seen any difference in strength between the 2 styles, either.

what about drilling and tapping a 5-760x u-joint cap to grease it?

just shot a picture of a 5-760x SEALED u-joint -

dvm1sg.jpg

and it appears to be drilled for grease flow into all the caps...

dvm1z9.jpg

doesnt look like it would be all to hard at all...

especialy if i were to tap the cap and use a low profile needle zerk fitting...

the caps are a very hard material, drilling and tapping them will be a little tricky. I also wouldn't like the decreased strength in the cap since I tore a cap into pieces once with it welded to the shaft:

you will also need the really low profile zerks that Longfield, CTM, etc use because the caps of a 760x joint barely clear the hole in the knuckle and the balljoints of a D44.

I contacted 5-90 recently about getting some bushings made, since he's already looking into getting some other XJ related parts made. He liked the idea and will hopefully sell me a set to test soon (JV testing!! Nov 19-20). I don't see any need for the zerks though, just pack as much grease as you can in there it should be fine (IMO).

XJ_ranger said:
he doesnt make thoes anymore...

he cant

Spicer told him not to

aparently he cant modify the spicers anymore...

http://www.longfieldsuperaxles.com/

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4472213&postcount=8

id like to own thoes... we'll see if i can get down to CarQuest and buy the cheepest u-joint and test on that cap, then drill and tap the spicer

thanks Randy for that post -

very aware.....just wanted to point out they can be drilled for zerks :) though, i still wish he could still make them. they are a great joint for the price.

I just replaced all my U-Joint's in my xj last year with xxheavy duty ones, fittings in cap. I got mine from Napa, I think they were either Moog or TRW they were not Spicer. Oh and they had needle bearings not bushings and the caps were longer.

Last edited:
BrettM said:
I contacted 5-90 recently about getting some bushings made, since he's already looking into getting some other XJ related parts made. I don't see any need for the zerks though, just pack as much grease as you can in there it should be fine (IMO).

Californians don't have to submerge their axles int the muck as much as other parts of the country. FWIW precision joints have the caps with the needle fittings on them, but I'm not sure I like thieir joints as much as NEAPCOs or spicers.

Lucas said:
Californians don't have to submerge their axles int the muck as much as other parts of the country. FWIW precision joints have the caps with the needle fittings on them, but I'm not sure I like thieir joints as much as NEAPCOs or spicers.
California has every terrain in the world, mud, snow, desert, and rocks.
You can be in the desert and in 6 hrs be driving in snow and rain.

I had to replace the outer u-joints in my d30 and they came with needle fitted zerks, but i cant find the attachment for the grease gun anywhere. Is there a place online where i can pick one up? I already have a grease gun.

I have to replace my u-joints up front in my '89 XJ I-6...what do you guys recommend... greasable or non greasable and which brand? Those longfields are sweet but way out of my price range!

MudslinginXJ said:
I had to replace the outer u-joints in my d30 and they came with needle fitted zerks, but i cant find the attachment for the grease gun anywhere. Is there a place online where i can pick one up? I already have a grease gun.
Try NAPA. JIM.

Johnny V said:
I have to replace my u-joints up front in my '89 XJ I-6...what do you guys recommend... greasable or non greasable and which brand? Those longfields are sweet but way out of my price range!
Try to stick with Spicer. And your 89 most likely has the smaller 260 u-joints. And those are greasable. To make sure, just measure one of the caps. 260 u-joints measure 1 1/16". The larger 297 (or 760) u-joints measure 1 3/16".
MudslinginXJ said:
I had to replace the outer u-joints in my d30
You should've done the inner u-joints at the same time. :laugh3: Sorry...couldn't resist.

Last edited:
Got my needle for the grease gun at Autizum Zone for about $4. Was over inthe oil & grease area. Bet someone got fired for putting something in a place that made sense. LOL

MudslinginXJ said:

Sure - NAPA. That's where I got all my adapters.

Failing that, check the Plews website (www.plews.com, I think) and you can probably order them from there.

Grease adapters are cheap enough it's worth having the whole set - the hypo needle, the "long cup" adapter (for reaching zerks down holes,) and the "needle" adapter for the "cup" zerks.

Oh - and so far, I haven't used anything but Spicers with zerks on them - I just can't bring myself to use anything less, and can't afford to use anything more. If you spend a litte extra on parts like that, you'll usually come out ahead (which is why I don't bother with the cheap $4!7...)

5-90

Back