• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny Pan Leak: Stripped Threads

lilmatty

NAXJA Member #1246
Hi. The auto tranny pan on my 94 is leaking and so I plan to replace and reset the gasket. About 5 of the screws were loose but that did not cure the leak. Also one of the bolt locations, right in the middle, front-to-back, has stripped threads. Some animal really did a job on this. Grrr. Anyway, does anyone have any tricks to recover that bolt location so that I can tighten it down? Or perhaps if I regoop and regasket I can get away with that location not being tight.

Comments?

lilmatty said:
Hi. The auto tranny pan on my 94 is leaking and so I plan to replace and reset the gasket. About 5 of the screws were loose but that did not cure the leak. Also one of the bolt locations, right in the middle, front-to-back, has stripped threads. Some animal really did a job on this. Grrr. Anyway, does anyone have any tricks to recover that bolt location so that I can tighten it down? Or perhaps if I regoop and regasket I can get away with that location not being tight.

Comments?
Go to NAPA and get a Heli-coil to repair the threads.
You drill out the old threads, then using a special tap you tap the hole, next you screw in the new threads.

Heli-coil is definitely the right answer on this - don't forget that the torque value is ridiculously low as well. Don't have my FSM in this 'puter right now but there have been a number of threads with the value. It's something like 15 lb-ft or so...

Back