• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wiring maybee? fuses going out? crazy rear window wiper...

JAGx1414

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 98 xj. when i turn the lights on the rear windsheild wiper turns on and then the rpms and speed drop to 0.. the car is still running the same but the dash just goes out. some times the fuel drops to empty.. also the electronic door locks on the door panel do not lock or unlock the doors. the doors have to be locked manually.. i dont really know what to do.. are fuses going out some where or is wireing going bad some where? what should i look for? would any store know what to do? and help is appreciated. thanks -john

langer1 said:
Bad connection on a ground wire some place is the most likely cause.

Chances are in the rear cargo area behind one of the trim pannels. IIRC most of the grounds are behind the left hand side.

Check the ground wire that goes from the block to the back of the fire wall I had that come loose on me and everything went haywire when I turned my steering wheel the rpms would climb and the cruise control would autimaticly set its self kinda thing so make sure it is tight and there isnt a break in it somewhere

Need more info...
SO if the you run with the lights off, everything works OK?
If that is the case I would first look at the wiring for the lights... yes behind the dash, very messy.
I there are some extra stuff installed it frequently is connected there somewhere. Check that wiring out.
Also there is probably a ground screw just behing the panel left of the drivers left foot. Check for wires there that has come undone. Clean grounding pints from corrosion and dirt.. (This can turn into a manual... the chapters on electrical in Haynes or Chilton cover the basics pretty well).

You do not have to 'rewire' but at least fix what is broken... add tape for insulation if insulation is bare or reconnect a connector, a broken wire clamp together...

Judging by your question (no insult intended) but you seem fairly new at the electrical stuff. You need a multimeter, preferably the schematics and some basic knowledge (ohms law etc). If not I suggest getting someone involved with that knowldege (on site...).

Electrical problems ---> usually not hard to fix, but bloody hard to figure out (process of elemination).

Have fun.

YOU need to remove the trim pannels in the cargo area. Check the ground wires there, and make shure they're tight to the body tub. If one side dosn't fix it then check the other. There are ground bolts on both sides so you'll just have to try both. I cant remember which side has the grounds for the tail lights, and tailgate on it. I do know that the rear speaker wiring comes down from on the passenger side.

Back