• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire Section Width

KY-XJ

NAXJA Forum User
96 XJ SE

I am needing new tires and I have a question on section width. According do BFG's website, their 235 ATs have a section width of 9.1" on a 6.5" rim and section width varies 0.2" for every 0.5" in rim width. So, does this figure into a section with of 9.3" on a 7" rim? I know they are approximates figures.

The reason I ask is because the Swamper STS Radial in a 29x10.5 has a section width of 8.8", but they don't list a wheel width. They just list approved widths of between 7"-9". Since every other tire I have looked at seem to use the middle of the width range to get section width, then I would assume they are using an 8" rim. If so, then that would put the section width on the STS to 8.4" on a 7" rim.

If these numbers are correct then I see no reason why the 29x10.5 wouldn't fit on a stock 15x7 with little to no rubbing, but something just doesn't seem to add up here.

I am I anywhere correct or just completly lost??

Thanks for any input.

Considering that on stock rims 30x9.50s rub slightly on the lower control arms and 31x10.50s rub worse, I think it's pretty well assured that any 10.50" wide tire is going to rub.

Steering wheel range with stock tires is 3-1/2 turns lock-to-lock. With the 31x10.50s installed I lost 1/4 turn at each extreme, so that means the tires limited me to 3 turns "rub-to-rub." You can get accustomed to it, but there are times when you might like that extra increment of turning ability.

I have a set of super swamper ssr's on my stock rims they are 27x9.5 on 15 inch rims. They fit great... but I had to cut the fenders a little to fit them and they rub the LCA when you cut the wheel all the way. Otherwise I love them. Not sure how to post pics but there are pics here:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/822246
Note were i had to cut at the front of the fenders, they rubed when i turns and the suspension compressed even just a little.
PS the tire number is SSR-03R
-Steve D

Back