• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'96 NP231J into '95 Cherokee sport?

Yooper

NAXJA Forum User
I've searched your archives for an answer, no luck. What do I need to use a '96 NP231J in a "95 Cherokee Sport? I know the slip yokes are different, '96 is external and '95 is internal. Can these be swapped over somehow?

Thanks for any help on this.

You need a 9/16" combo wrench, and a 17mm socket, and...

The t-case will bolt up, the only question is what to do about the driveshaft. If you put an SYE on the '96 case before swapping it in, then you don't have to worry about whether it's new- or old-style.

Yucca-Man said:
You need a 9/16" combo wrench, and a 17mm socket, and...

The t-case will bolt up, the only question is what to do about the driveshaft. If you put an SYE on the '96 case before swapping it in, then you don't have to worry about whether it's new- or old-style.

Would the SYE kit require another driveshaft, or could I use my old one?
Thanks

Depends what type of SYE. You don't want to re-use the old rear shaft anyway since that's one of the reasons to want to go to an SYE, but with a PORC SYE or similar you can run a front driveshaft from a 4.0L automatic as your rear shaft.

This is rapidly turning into a Mod Tech question, so check out http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=65765 for some SYE info...most of it is accurate.

Just another thought, what if I were to replace transfer case with the '96 case and use a '96 rear driveshaft so they mate up?

Yooper said:
Just another thought, what if I were to replace transfer case with the '96 case and use a '96 rear driveshaft so they mate up?
That'll do.

Back