• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

noise from transfer case area-service bulletin?

scott in NH

NAXJA Forum User
I very recently bought a 2000 ltd. from a reputable used car dealer here in NH. I am very happy with it, but if you listen very closely when cruising along under no load, you can hear a "rattling" kind of sound eminating up from the transer case area, almost a loose chain sound (not saying the chain is loose, just trying to describe the sound).
It also occassionally has a louder rattle at idle in gear that goes away if you push the transfer case shifter forward. I do not hear any noise when accelerating.
I did do several searches here and it seems like I made need some sort of bushing kit for the transfer case shifter. Anything else it might be instead or in addition?
This Jeep is under warranty, but instead of having non-jeep mechanics chase the sound, I'd rather trouble shoot myself and just have them do the repair.
Where can I find something official to print out and give to them descibing the problem/fix?
As always, thanks for the help!
Scott

thanks, anybody else want to venture that the problem I described is the linkage? The rattle when stopped is obvious enough, I'm more concerned about the noise while moving. In addition to what I've already described, it does change pitch with the slightest movement of the lever.....

Back