• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Obd

churky89

NAXJA Forum User
True? or false? there is no known OBD device for an 89'XJ.....

What, exactly, do you mean?

The XJ was "pre-OBD" until ChryCo production got to it in 1991, and they replaced the RENIX setup with the OBD-I compliant ChryCo SBEC.

Technically, the XJ was not OBD-compliant until that time.

If you are looking for a "code reader," the OBD-I and OBD-II ones will NOT work - you'll need to find a ChryCo DRB-II or Snap-On MT2500.

It is also worth noting that the RENIX system does not store DTC's (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) in the same sense as the OBD system - the data you'll get from the RENIX ECM is realtime driveability data rather than stored problems. There is also no CEL/MIL (Check Engine Light/Maintenance Indicator Lamp.)

Fortunately, most of the RENIX troubleshooting can be done with a little know-how and a decent voltmeter. I should have a copy of the RENIX troubleshooting manual on my RENIXPower group (groups.yahoo.com/group/RENIXPower,) and if it isn't there, let me know. It's also available at the Strokers group (groups.yahoo.com/group/strokers.)

I'd not say that this was a flaw in the RENIX system - I'm quite comfortable with it (I'd better be - I've got FOUR RENIX XJ's here!) I actually tend to prefer RENIX to OBD - but I'm cranky.

If this doesn't answer your question, I'll need to know more about what you're looking for, but I'm hoping I managed to hit it.

5-90

ARGGGGHHHHHHH...me thinks you have the answer....5-90..I had asked Jason at jeepin.com but wanted a second opinion.....or set in stone or whatever ya wanna call it...THANX

So, you were looking for a code reader, then?

Yeah - I need to get an MT2500 - and a pet project is to make some sort of "low-buck" computer interrogator for RENIXers. I haven't been following it as much as I'd like to lately (been busy...) but I've got a Yahoo group going for RENIX-XJ-specific tech - groups.yahoo.com/group/RENIXPower. Might be worth checking out... I'm hoping we get somewhere soon...

5-90

Back