• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88 XJ, starts then quits

Fore Wheeler

MWC President
NAXJA Member
put in a new fuel pump, not the prob.

it will start then feels like its running out of fuel, it will do the same after it stalls as many times as I try.

started and ran fine earlier today.

Any ideas???????

Fuel filter plugged?

How's the pressure in the fuel rail?

Also look at the fuel pump relay, it may not be working. It gives your full voltage to start but then goes to the reduced voltage mode. That is where the balast resister comes into play.

With XJs the age of ours we keep finding things that are wearing out. I think I'd change the relay just to have peace of mind. I am not home right now so I am unable to tell you which relay is the fuel pump relay.

Fuel Pump Ballast Resistor

If it starts right up, and then stalls its like matthew said, its the fuel pump ballast resistor. Its on the left front fender up front. You can jumper the two wires together to check it. Your fuel pump gets its power from a different curcuit during starting, and recieves a lower voltage after its started.

Back