• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

factory control arms with RE drop brackets

xjdavid1

NAXJA Forum User
Is there any reason why I couldnt use the factory control arms with the RE drop brackets and 4.5" coils in the front. I know the RE control arms are stronger but the factory ones are working for me at the moment.

Thats what I run and very happy with them. Less strain on the control arm brackets as they can twist unless you have the after market arms that have the swivel in them that can do that too.

Listen to Gojeep.... he definately knows what he's talking about..no problems there and the real good thing is the facvtory ones give alot of twist. Which can also work against you but if you break one they are only like $12 each..also keep an eye out since people are always trying to get rid of them for nothing and soon you can have a ton of free relacements incase you break one.

the only thing is if you land on a rock with em they are gonna fold most likely if there is any force to it, where as with a aftermarket it will usually be a good bit stronger

Ramsey said:
the only thing is if you land on a rock with em they are gonna fold most likely if there is any force to it, where as with a aftermarket it will usually be a good bit stronger

you could always box em up with some steel and a welder

Just had a thought. The factory arms and RE drop brackets are going to maintain the factory caster wont they which will mean that the angle on the pinion is going be out due to the extra height of the 4.5" kit. Unless the RE drop brackets locate the arms in a position resulting in changed caster from factory settings. I would have thought that I should have less caster as a result of the arms straightening out the front pinion angle by rotating the diff forward at the top.

VegasAnthony said:
you could always box em up with some steel and a welder
thats true, know a guy w/ a tj that did that and they seem to be holding up ok

I would want some adj uppers at least but thats just me. You should be able to pick up a used set of CA's for short money. IMHO if your putting money into DB's do it right and get some real arms

brandon11130 said:
not to hijack but i have a 4.5 lift and adj lowers (16.5") and stock uppers, will this mess up any drivline/steering angles horribly??
1. Get your own thread ;)
2. Probably not as the uppers are set to almost stock length at quite a bit of lift (search here, the starting point for adjustments has been posted on couple occasions).
3. Put it in and look, if you adjust your lowers out like crazy, than yeah you'll have problems. Play with the adjustments and see how it works out/feels.

GirlScout1 said:
Listen to Gojeep.... he definately knows what he's talking about..no problems there and the real good thing is the facvtory ones give alot of twist. Which can also work against you but if you break one they are only like $12 each..also keep an eye out since people are always trying to get rid of them for nothing and soon you can have a ton of free relacements incase you break one.

lol I trew mine in the trash!!!

GirlScout1 said:
OK, if you're using stock ones as they came from factory and you're on the trail, you better carry a full replacement set with you and be very proficient in swapping them out. OH, and also carry a spare yoke and a front driveshaft (or at least teh lower part of the driveshaft) cause that's what you're risking breaking.

i run drop brackets with stock arms and ive come down on my lowers on several occassions and theyre a little dinged up but no bending so far. i should probably sleve them or buy some aftermarket ones when i get some extra cheez..

olivedrabcj7 said:
i run drop brackets with stock arms and ive come down on my lowers on several occassions and theyre a little dinged up but no bending so far. i should probably sleve them or buy some aftermarket ones when i get some extra cheez..
It's not the coming down that you should worry about but the frontal impact: what happens is that the arm spreads open and folds. But I know that everyone here will say that they never run into things :D

Kejtar said:
It's not the coming down that you should worry about but the frontal impact: what happens is that the arm spreads open and folds. But I know that everyone here will say that they never run into things :D

Don't we have to wheel to do that? By friday I'll be up past the parking space divides. And if I air down I should be able to crawl right over................... :lecture:

It's good that you're doing well with your control arms at the moment, but if you start to wheel a little bit harder, it's going to be more likely that you will bend your control arms as compared to having some stronger control arms.

Back