• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gages don't work

ravenxj

NAXJA Forum User
ok this has happened to me a few times now, just wondering if anyone has an idea. when i start up my jeep (98 se 5 speed) the gas, and spedo do not work, the only thing that does is the airbag light. and after a while (not sure how long) airbag goes off and spedo works, and gas works. Any ideas where i should look?? or is this an XJ thing?

ravenxj said:
ok this has happened to me a few times now, just wondering if anyone has an idea. when i start up my jeep (98 se 5 speed) the gas, and spedo do not work, the only thing that does is the airbag light. and after a while (not sure how long) airbag goes off and spedo works, and gas works. Any ideas where i should look?? or is this an XJ thing?
If they come back after you smack the top of the dash that means that you have poor contact (mine used to do that). Take the dash appart, pull out the cluster and clean up the connections and bend a hair the pins so that they connect better. Look also at the big connector below the dash and do the same. There is TSB about that being a potential problem.

All of the gauges you mention are on the same fuse(engine comp.), that should make it easier to track down. Have you noticed that your dome light has been part of the party?

did the el smack the dash today, only airbag came on while other gages still working. airbag went off. so i guess i got to clean some terminals.

Have not noticed the dome light being in on the party. but will keep eye out for it. thanks for the direction guys.

Mathew

Back