• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fans for AC/heater not working

tweeve

NAXJA Forum User
Just today My fans for the AC and Heater stoped working, or when they do work its sparatic. If I slam the door the fans will kick on for a but then shut back off, they will also kick on for a bit when I hit a bump or something.
Any help getting this fixed would be great.

I had a similar problem with my 93' which turned out to be a bad blower motor, although you might like to check the electrical connections to the motor as well. If you run a search on a/c blower motors, I've posted before on how to change out a bad motor - it isn't a big job, nor is it an expensive part (roughly about US$35 for a new one).

Best of luck with it.

This is also a prime indication that the ballast resistor for the blower motor is going bad. Typically, if you put the fan on high, it should work as the connection is direct to the motor. The other three speeds go through the resistor pack. There are times when the high setting won't work if enough moisture has gotten into the resistor pack to corrode the connections.

While it could be the motor, the motors usually outlast the resistor packs.

The resistor pack is located under the passenger side upper kick panel and screwed into the lower portion of the fan housing. The two screws up under the dash for the kick panel are ususally obnoxious to get to, but the bottom two are easy.

tweeve said:
Just today My fans for the AC and Heater stoped working, or when they do work its sparatic. If I slam the door the fans will kick on for a but then shut back off, they will also kick on for a bit when I hit a bump or something.
Any help getting this fixed would be great.

Sounds to me like you have a loose connection somewhere. Check your wiring connecting to the blower motor. As already mentioned, it could be the blower itself that is going bad or the resistor pack for the speed control could be going bad also.

Kim.

Back