• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What's the box - sentinel module?

Chancer

NAXJA Forum User
I was looking under my dash yesterday and found a funny black box ziptied to a brace just left of the steering column. The box is about 3"x3"x1" and has 7 wires (IIRC) running from it to a white connector. The connector is about 1" square, has 3 V's moulded into one edge, and has round connectors for the different wires. The main wiring pigtail was disconnected from the black box and capped with a black end, making me wonder why someone would go to the trouble of installing the thing and not actually plugging it in.

Would this be a sentinel module, and if so, how does it work?

What year? Older Renix systems had a timer to turn on the "engine" light. Strictly on a timer, no other reason. The only way to turn the light off was to unplug it or buy a new box!

JoBo

It's a secret box installed by spyops meant to disable your car when we invade your country. :thumbup:

And if you believe that, I also have some great beachfront property in New Orleans to sell you... :laugh3: :laugh3: :laugh3:

===

Actually, it's the emissions maintenace timer:
Just leave it unplugged.

===

Emissions Maintenance Reminder Light
Some Jeep vehicles are equipped with an Emissions Maintenance Reminder (EMR) light. The EMR light comes on after the vehicle has reached 82,500 miles (132,767 km) and informs the owner when oxygen sensor and other related emissions service is required. The light is located in the instrument cluster.

The oxygen sensor and EMR module are interdependent. When the reminder light illuminates, the oxygen sensor and EMR module should be replaced simultaneously. This is important in ensuring proper engine performance.

RESETTING
The maintenance reminder cannot be reset after reaching the specified mileage, the unit must be replaced. The unit is mounted on the dash panel to the right of the steering column. To replace the reminder module:

Remove the attaching screws and disengage the reminder electrical connector.
Install the connector to the new EMR and replace the attaching screws.
NOTE: On vehicles equipped with cruise control, the cruise control module may need to be moved to gain access to the EMR.

emt1.JPG

emt2.JPG

RTicUL8 said:
It's a secret box installed by spyops meant to disable your car when we invade your country. :thumbup:
Aha! And here was me thinking we were just one big airbase and ICBM silo! :D

Seriously though, it doesn't look like the pics, and it's to the left of the steering wheel. I'm happy to take your word for it, since it's probably a hangover from the car's California days. Thanks.

Last edited:
The emissions timer is built-in to the ECU.

The Sentinel module looks like a Soviet-era relay -- square tin can looking thing.

Could it be a security system? Are there any markings/names, etc ?

Lou said:
The emissions timer is built-in to the ECU.

How dare you contradict me (and the FSM for that matter)!!! :twak:

Just for that, I’m not going to share my oreos with you. :moon:

RTicUL8 said:
How dare you contradict me (and the FSM for that matter)!!! :twak:

Just for that, I’m not going to share my oreos with you. :moon:
Actually, we're both correct.

As for for sharing, I have my own bag. Thanks.

oreos.jpg

Damn! My teeth hurt!

Back