• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wast of time?

DSN46

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, I read all of the info about upgrading the electric system on my XJ.
Yesterday, I did this upgrade. I replaced all of my main wires (both positive and ground) with 2 Gauge wire. From battery to starter, battery to ground, battery to junction box and battery to engine block. Could barely make it all fit onto the new marine-type connectors.

I "tested" this new wiring... Before, I had 14 volts showing on the cluster gauge as well as an actual voltmeter at the battery. When I turned on all accessories, the needle on the cluster gauge dropped a little. I was hoping that all this new wiring would sustain 14 volts at all times. Nope. After new wires, I turned everything on (lights on high beam, blower etc.) and guess what? The gauge dipped down just like before! Yaaayyy! I may have wasted a little money and a whole bunch of time.

THere are those who have claimed that upgrading the wiring actually let them see 14.5 volts and that it sustained that with accessories on. Mine didn't. Any thoughts? Did I miss something?

Thanks,

James

When it comes down to it, your alternator is what puts the power out for all those lights. If your overloading that, its still going to drop.

DSN46 said:
From battery to starter, battery to ground, battery to junction box and battery to engine block. Could barely make it all fit onto the new marine-type connectors.

Did I miss something?

I don't see alternator to battery in that list... That'd be the first one on my list.

I also don't see the status or condition of the alternator. When I installed 5-90's cable kit one of the most immediate differences I noted was the backlights for the guages don't dim or flicker when I use my turn signals or hit the brakes any longer.

Matthew

it's not the voltage you made this mod for, it's the current.
The alt only puts out like 35 amps at idle. To see a difference on an ammeter (not voltmeter) you would need to bring the idle speed up to about 22-2500 rpm.
The big difference is the amount of current the new wires can carry before they burn up. This is not a waste of time, it's actually the first thing you should change on an XJ, before you install a winch or additional electric devices.

Thanks for the thoughts.
When I move my winch over from my truck, then maybe I will feel better about the performance. As for going from Alternator to Battery.... I can't do that one due to it being a '96 and having that whole "cluster" of wires that go into the fuse box from the alternator.... believe me, that is the one I looked at first.

Thanks again though everyone!

James

Back