• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Diffrentials and Axles ???...???

Rear axle is most likely a Dana 35, but may be a Dana 44 if you have the tow package and you are very lucky. They can be distinguished visually - check the shape of the cover. The D35 will have an oval cover, while the D44 has a somewhat hexagonal cover that rests on the lower corner.

The front axle is the D30 - OK for light use.

If you have the four-cylinder, you might be lucky and have 4.10 gearing - six-cylinder autos are 3.55, and six-cylinder manuals are 3.07 (yech!)

I would advise you to check the cover bolts carefully to see if any are holding metal tags down. A tag about 3" long will be the ID tag, and it will tell you the gear raio and the Dana BoM number (which allows you to find out exactly what's in the housing.) The rear differential may have a smaller (about 1"x1") tag saying something to the effect of "Use LSD lubricant Only" or something similar - this means you have the factory Trac-Loc limited slip rear end, and you will need friction modifier when you change the gear oil. The use of FM in non-LSD axles will harm nothing.

The LSD may also be identified with the cover off by checking for clutches behind the side gears.

The axle shafts are one-piece (see below for exception) with the wheel flange friction-welded to the axle shaft.

The front axle may have a two-part shaft on the long (passenger) side to accommodate a vacuum disconnect that was eliminated for 1991. This disconnect would be present with the NP231 transfer case, and not present with the NP242. These may be identified by checking the transfer case shift bezel - if you have a 4WD Full Time position (in addition to 2WD, 4HI, and 4LO,) you have the NP242 and therefore not the disconnect.

If the previous owner has been playing about under there, all bets are off. If you get stuck, take pictures and post them, and we'll have a shufty at them and see what you've got.

You might want to try a search for pix (I don't have links handy, and haven't written the "What axle do I have" FAQ yet...)

5-90

Back