• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spark one day, Gone the next... No spark on 88 XJ!

Tim88XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Well a few weeks ago when I got back from a wheeling trip I started my jeep, and unloaded it off the trailer into the driveway where it would sit for a day before I could hose the mud off of it. The next day I got in it and nothin.... cranks and cranks but no fire whatsoever. I figure hell I have had it for 4 years and never replaced the CPS seemed like a good place to start. I replaced the CPS and still no spark.

What else could it be? is there a way to test the coil? Friday is coming up soon and I'd like to make a trip this weekend. However I dont just want to toss money at it.

Rev Den said:
Pull the coil off the coil pack, clean the little contacts, and re-seat it.

Rev

If that doesn't do it, maybe your ignition module is going bad. That's what it sounds like to me. Good luck!

CPS was the logical place to start. The camshaft position sensor will cause a no start some times but you will still get spark. When you say no spark, are you actually pulling a plug wire and verifying no spark or are you saying it doesn't fire up. We have to get the vernacular the same.

There are two other other problem areas on an 88XJ. The first is C101, a large connector on the firewall above the brake booster. Plug and replug it as well. Jeep had so much problem with it that they later deleted the connector and told the mechanics to simply cut the connector out and straight wire it. The second is the actual connectors on the ECU. Plug and unplug them. If that doesn't fix it, C100 the firewall bulkhead connector can be a problem, but rarely.

When I say no spark I am meaning No spark. I have a little tool that plugs inline from the spark plug to the plug wire with a light on it. i tested 2 plugs, and the coil. Neither are getting spark.

-Tim

Finally someone who uses the right terms. Congrats. It is rare.

If it goes out again, check the ignition module for cracks int he black plastic underneath. I had a run/no run situation for weeks, after changing everything, it ended up being my ignition module that was cutting out....

Back