• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ Conversion: MT Classic II 15" - will it fit?

jshwank

NAXJA Forum User
I've researched this topic to death it seems, but looking for some actual experience with the WJ Knuckle conversion, mainly with trying to fit a 15" wheel over the "newer" brake calipers. I know most people say to use a 16" as it will fit a lot easier, but I would really like to stay with the 15" if possible. So, does anyone know if a MT Classic II 15" in either a 15x8 or a 15x10 flavor will fit on the WJ Knuckle conversion using the "newer" WJ brake calipers? The specs on the wheels are as follows:

15x8 3 5/16" backspacing (same for 5x4.5 and 5x5.5)

15x10 3 5/8" backspacing (same for 5x4.5 and 5x5.5)

I'm also considering doing a Warn hub conversion at the same time, which from what I've read will push each of the fronts out about another 3/4". If no one has any experience with this particular wheel, could you post up what wheels you've got to work with the conversion, and maybe some specs on the wheel. Again, only interested in those wheels that are 15".

Thanks in advance,

Jeremy

jshwank said:
I've researched this topic to death it seems......

And what, out of all the threads you read on it, brought you to believe that no one knew what they were talking about. So you had to start a new thread and ask the question for yourself. The search is pointless if you don't believe any of the things you read. A 15" wheel will fit if you grind the caliper. And I can guarantee you all the threads you read said THE SAME DAMN THING. Have a nice day.

91 Jeep Project said:
And what, out of all the threads you read on it, brought you to believe that no one knew what they were talking about. So you had to start a new thread and ask the question for yourself. The search is pointless if you don't believe any of the things you read. A 15" wheel will fit if you grind the caliper. And I can guarantee you all the threads you read said THE SAME DAMN THING. Have a nice day.

Hey 91, first off, thanks for the pointless reply. I'm well aware that a 15" wheel will fit if you grind the caliper. Point is, some people use different calipers, some 15" wheels have different specs, etc. I'm asking about fitting a specific wheel, so if you don't have any info to contribute, don't waste my time or anyone else's on here. If you've done the WJ conversion and have something to say about your config, then post up.

Thanks,

Jeremy

jshwank said:
Hey 91, first off, thanks for the pointless reply. I'm well aware that a 15" wheel will fit if you grind the caliper. Point is, some people use different calipers, some 15" wheels have different specs, etc. I'm asking about fitting a specific wheel, so if you don't have any info to contribute, don't waste my time or anyone else's on here. If you've done the WJ conversion and have something to say about your config, then post up.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Pointless reply, I just answered your question. A 15" wheel is a 15" wheel, grind the caliper and it'll fit..............:cheers:

91 Jeep Project said:
Pointless reply, I just answered your question. A 15" wheel is a 15" wheel, grind the caliper and it'll fit..............:cheers:
Not necessarily true.

A steel wheel compared to an alloy wheel will be different. Alloys (depending on brand, construction type, style) can be thicker and result in less clearance compared to a steel wheel.

i have also been considering the WJ upgrade and wanting to use 15"s. in my research there was not a solid answer that had someone actually wanting the same thing that i was looking for. people seem to always just upgrade to 16s. i decided that that is what i would do if i went this route. i would guess that some 15s would fit, most likely steelies though. i am glad someone asked the question personally, i am curious too. too bad sometimes its hard to ask a question without getting your ass reamed.

Why not just use the older style calipers & make it a non-issue?

Also, you mention the Warn hub conversion adds 3/4" per side, this is only true for the 4.5" conversion, the 5.5" conversion doesn't add anything.

Paul

Why not just use the older style calipers & make it a non-issue?

The older style calipers are more prone to warping rotors.

Also, you mention the Warn hub conversion adds 3/4" per side, this is only true for the 4.5" conversion, the 5.5" conversion doesn't add anything.

This is correct. I have the manual for this kit sitting in front of me and it makes no mention of increasing the track width.

That's interesting because straight from the Warn website regarding the 5x5.5 hub conversion kit it states down at the bottom:

"Note: Requires a modified '82-86 CJ7 front rotor. Increases track width by 3/4" per side. Warning: loss of ABS braking."

If I'm gonna do the upgrade, I mine as well do it right the first time and put the better of the two calipers on. I was under the impression that the earlier model was more prone to warpage also, and that this is why Jeep finally went to an upgraded caliper.

Thanks for all your replies...Much appreciated!!!

Jeremy

jshwank said:
That's interesting because straight from the Warn website regarding the 5x5.5 hub conversion kit it states down at the bottom:

"Note: Requires a modified '82-86 CJ7 front rotor. Increases track width by 3/4" per side. Warning: loss of ABS braking."

If I'm gonna do the upgrade, I mine as well do it right the first time and put the better of the two calipers on. I was under the impression that the earlier model was more prone to warpage also, and that this is why Jeep finally went to an upgraded caliper.

Thanks for all your replies...Much appreciated!!!

Jeremy

Yeah, I don't kow why Warn reports that. I ran the 4.5" conversion for 1 day (literally), then pulled it & did the 5.5" conversion to get back to stock track.

I ran the WJ conversion for 2+ years with the old calipers & never had a problem, I have several friends running the old calipers too with no problem.
It was my understanding that the problem with the old version was the anti rattle clip had a tendency to rattle, but I never heard of that happening either.
Keep in mind also the fact that if you're doing the Warn conversion you're going to have to buy some nice cast rotors anyway, which I'd imagine are less prone to warping than the stock composite rotors.

Paul

Back