• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

in the process of changing lca's....NEED HELP ASAP please

93xj-jeeper

NAXJA Forum User
hey im in the process of changing out my lca's along with adding a coil spacer....heres the delema.

to try to later get more droop to put in the coil spacers i removed both lca's. after they were both removed the axle shifted underneith the rig, so that the differental is pointed toward the ground....the coil has a bend in it and is at a pretty bad angle, so i figured it would be best to try to put in the new jks lca's and then do the coil spacers after that.

currently as it sits the front axle has the tires removed resting on two jack stands....for the lca holes to line up the axle needs to shift foward about 3-4 inches or so

so i have a winch and hooked a snatch block to a rig in front of mine and then back to the axle and tried to pull it forward but it only makes the axle shift/slide underneith even worse, putting the coils at more of a bend....

also i figured if i jacked up the axle it also might help to fix the tilt issue but it actually just made it worse as soon as there was any weight on the jack, forcing me to lower it back down to the jack stands.

so does any body have any ideas of how i can move the axle forward along with tilting it about 20 degress foward or so.....PLEASE HELP

i need to get this fixed today....

thanks a lot guys

Jack up the vehicle and place the jackstands under the framerails just behind the body side LCA mounts.

Let all the weight of the vehicle rest on the stands, not on the springs.

You should then be able to use your winch to maneuver the axle.

I would use the floor jack/pipe wrench method instead though.

BTW, do the spacer first.

See XJ_ranger's jackstand placement in this pic...
New_LCA.jpg

Here's the method for rotating the axle, thanks again ranger...
P1010126.JPG

Last edited:
Also,

You're damn lucky, if you put jackstands under the axle and disconnected the LCAs, that you didn't get yourself or your vehicle hurt.

HTH

thanks Dirk...

i really need to update my lift pics and get a better writeup in that section...

I never used compressors for 6.5", and just used 2 floor jacks, one under each side of the axle. Jack stands in the same place as above. And used one stock jack on either the front or back side of the axle pushing it forwards or backwards, and another with a pipewrench on it like above to hold it steady. Once the LCA's were on, just flex one side and my springs popped right in fairly easy (granted it needs to be jacked WAY up in the air)

fryed_1 said:
I never used compressors for 6.5", and just used 2 floor jacks, one under each side of the axle. Jack stands in the same place as above. And used one stock jack on either the front or back side of the axle pushing it forwards or backwards, and another with a pipewrench on it like above to hold it steady. Once the LCA's were on, just flex one side and my springs popped right in fairly easy (granted it needs to be jacked WAY up in the air)

i hope you care life insurance.

disco the tracbar and remove the springs, reinstall the LCA's reinsert the springs and use a ratchet strap to get the left adn right movement you need to put the track bar back in.

What I did on mine to help install the springs and control arms was by putting a jack right underneath the pinion at a certain angle. Then, let the axle drop, and it should start correcting the angle. If not, start getting creative, unbolt your other control arms, and start from square one.

I have never used spring compressors and run 3.5" springs and a spacer. I just undo the LCA, disco the swaybar and shock and let that thing drop and have had plenty of room. On the passenger side I have had to use the bottle jack a little but other wise that's it. I don't like using a spring compressor. Nothing scares me more than a loaded spring waiting to shoot out.

106_0699.JPG

this is the best way I have
found to remove /replace springs and control arms
notice the jack under the pinion
and the I disconect the track bar at the axle end also

Last edited:
VegasAnthony said:
106_0699.JPG

this is the best way I have
found to remove /replace springs and control arms
notice the jack under the pinion
and the I disconect the track bar at the axle end also

Wow thats alot safer then the frame lifts. With this you won't have to worry about knocking the jeep off the lift.

bigwhitey said:
Wow thats alot safer then the frame lifts. With this you won't have to worry about knocking the jeep off the lift.

i wasnt aware that it was possible to knock a 3000 lb weight off of anything...

at work - we park cars under other cars at the end of the day - never had one fall yet...

XJ_ranger said:
i wasnt aware that it was possible to knock a 3000 lb weight off of anything...

at work - we park cars under other cars at the end of the day - never had one fall yet...

Fortunately at your work, there are real lifts.

Nothing like a hoist on casters and 215/75/15s for wheel chocks. :explosion

Back