• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New 2" BB and front bottoming out - HARD!

FU-UR

NAXJA Forum User
Do I need to extend my front bump stops? My front end bottoms out hard now that my new 2" BB is installed. It has the BPE's and stock length shocks.

Any help?

Thanks!

Sounds to me like the shocks are too LONG!

BPE's add about 1" to shock length. most BPE's ive seen anyway.
you might have a different style........

Does your XJ have the upcountry suspension package?
if so the shocks are a bit longer than usual.... I ran into that problem in the rear.......

The BPE's are by Rocky Road. The shocks are Monroe Reflex and the suspension is not the Upcountry.

If the shocks are too long IT WILL bottom out!
on A BB 2" shocks will be fine as a B.S.

My shocks have been my B.S for years now with no problems..... its perfect actually.... personal opinion though....

I say take the BPE's off and try it!

Y2K-XJ said:
My shocks have been my B.S for years now with no problems..... its perfect actually.... personal opinion though....

Probably because you are using POS shocks to begin with and haven't noticed that you've blown the valving out.

ECKSJAY said:
Probably because you are using POS shocks to begin with and haven't noticed that you've blown the valving out.

Yeah they are kinda crappy LOL...

Benn gettin a hint of wobble too.... Time for some new ones........

Y2K-XJ said:
Yeah they are kinda crappy LOL...

yeah LOL man... LOL

I'm running stock length shocks with no BPEs on a 3" boost, no problems. As already stated, you won't have full use of your travel, but oh well.

PS- How the hell did you make them damn BPEs fit?!?! I bought probably the same kit as you from RRO and the BPEs would not fit period on mine. You bastard...;)

Some Brands of BPE's are designated only for the Front or Rear..

JKS has 2 different part #'s for front and rear..
Im sure there are others...

FU-UR said:
Can I use stock length shocks with a 2" BB?
Yes, you can. Look in the Rancho catalog and they list the same shock for stock height through 3" of lift. I've spoken with the engineers at Tenneco (Monroe/Rancho) on this exact question, and they confirmed that.

What's happening is that your vehicle rides higher because of the budget boost but you didn't extend the bump stops so when compressed it can still stuff to the same place as stock -- except that the BPEs made the front shocks longer, so now the shocks are serving as the bump stops. Not good -- you'll destroy the shocks.

Here in CT it is actually illegal to modify the suspension in such a way that the shocks become the suspension travel limiters.

Take off the BPEs and you should be fine.

Back