• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new to the forum and have some ?'s

haynesn12

NAXJA Forum User
hello everybody,
i just found this board and did some research and you guys know your xj's. i just recenlty bought a 88 mj and wanna lift it and do some work to it. i am thinking about the rusty's 3 inch for now. what else will i need that the kit dosnt include? also what tires size should i go with? and finally i hae heard the speedo get's messed up with bigger tires, how much and where can i find the part to fix this? i am in school to become an auto tech so i have access to any tool i'd need so i just need a start in the right direction. thank you

I am still a newb, so from one to another, do a search.... 19 of your FIRST 20 questions have already been answered several hundered times...

I learned alot more be reading other post anyway. Thay way, when you search, you will find you answer, and the answers to your next 4 questions.

By the way, you find opinions vary, but I vote strongly for the Rubicon Express, THAT IS WHAT MY XJ has.

Also, take advice from people that have actually spent there Money on what they are telling you.... not some guy with a stock wrangler and a computer with time in his big theory hands.

Have fun, you will love it hear, this forum has been responsible in one-way or another for every single mod on my jeep.

Jason

I would suggest a Rubicon Express easy ride kit. It's alot more inclusive than Rusty's 3" kit. But you can anticipate on needing a trackbar (either relocation or new one) and T-case modification (either a drop or SYE) as well as bumpstops, brake lines, possibly rear axle shims and an assortment of other little things. How the tires effect your speedo is dependant on your gears/tire size.

The search feature is not always real easy to use...try different spellings of words, etc. string words together and you may get multiple hits. that sort of stuff..the best advice i gan give is...if you are mainly street driving...stay away from heim joint suspension parts...they wear quickly.

haynesn12 said:
hello everybody,
i just found this board and did some research and you guys know your xj's. i just recenlty bought a 88 mj and wanna lift it and do some work to it. i am thinking about the rusty's 3 inch for now. what else will i need that the kit dosnt include? also what tires size should i go with? and finally i hae heard the speedo get's messed up with bigger tires, how much and where can i find the part to fix this? i am in school to become an auto tech so i have access to any tool i'd need so i just need a start in the right direction. thank you

What kind of driving you plan to do?

Hey bud, nobody got mad.... they can get flat out rude, but that was nothing more than being to the point and trying to help you.

Smile man, you own a 4x4, and you found a forum to build it.

sorry but from being on pirate i just get kinda wuick to judge i guess. i love my mj, it's already a better off-roader then my lifted nissan pathfinder that i snapped the frame on. but it will see alot of road use from school and back and a trip down the high way now and then. so basically dd during the week and i'll use it off-road on the weekend. on like moderate trails with some rocks and mud but nothing serious

haynesn12 said:
i did a search but didnt find exactly what i wanted to ask so i asked.
I call bull. You simply were too lazy to look.

This is THE most beaten down topic on this website, and you should find at least 50 threads for each of the questions you asked. Every thing from lift height and applicable tire selection to speedo gear substitution.

Nobody is getting mad. Its just gets redundant.

go ahead and call bull. i really dont care what you say. i did search bit whatever man. why te hell would someone lie about it. and if you think its getting redundant or somthing dont reply or open the thread. and this one had died so why did you bring it back up?

haynesn12 said:
i really dont care what you say.

There you go, don't let that skin get thin around here. Great bunch really, some are happiest with their panties pulled up around their neck. Don't let them bother you too much, if they ever get their computer out to the trail and do some wheeling they'll mellow out.

There are hundreds of threads on lifts to search through. Try searching by brand or by two or three key words. You will also have to work around too common words. It took me over a year to decide which route I wanted to go.

As far as a mild lift for your MJ, have you considered just leveling it. Two to three inches in the front with some new of used coils would do the trick. Tire size is going to depend on what you intend to use the truck for.

There are sum imcredabull spelers aroun hear that wil make serching a reel challanje, just bee paeshunt. Oh, and welcome.

Back