• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear 4 link w/SAW air shocks progress pics

AzRick

NAXJA Forum User
As many of you have, I've gotten tired of leaf spring issues in the rear of my XJ. It's time for something new.

I picked up a pair of 12" Sway-a-way air shocks for a pretty good price from a friend, and here's what it lead to......

Inside:
450588544XJGmir_ph.jpg

The rear bar of the "ladder" is the upper control arm mounting point. The arms will come through the floor and mount to it. The forward bar supports the lower control arm brackets here:
450587703iPRYSO_ph.jpg

The shocks will come up through the floor outside of the framerails:
450587881gEJQNh_ph.jpg

The shock on the left is at ride height.

The axle truss is a Rockrawler part.

So far, so good.....the only possible issue I see is the length of the uppers. They are probably only 75% of the lowers. I could rework the "ladder" a bit if I need to lengthen them.

More pics to come once I have the links built.

Rick

Edit: BTW, the rear seat will be fully functional as I have 2 kids that go with me from time to time.

Last edited:
Where exactly are the kids going to put their feet after the bottom seat cushion is in? Looks a bit busy in the footwell. I find it interesting that one side bar follows the door opening and the other is straight. Does that mean get in on THIS side only? :) Jeff

Jeff 98XJ WI said:
Where exactly are the kids going to put their feet after the bottom seat cushion is in? Looks a bit busy in the footwell. I find it interesting that one side bar follows the door opening and the other is straight. Does that mean get in on THIS side only? :) Jeff

Alyssa, my 12 year old, has almost outgrown the back seat anyway, but she can either put her feet on top of the bar (her knees are getting close to the crossbar), or she can put her feet underneath it.

The side bars were originally the same, but I couldn't get the spare in and out once I went to 35's. I cut out the pass. side bar and rebuilt it with the bend. The spare just barely fits, deflated.

Rick

Must be getting ready for wheeling season in AZ, did it finally cool down to less than 100 degrees?

CRASH said:
Must be getting ready for wheeling season in AZ, did it finally cool down to less than 100 degrees?

It was a brisk 94 today. Not bad for Sept.

Die Harder is first on the list once it cools down.

Rick

Welcome to hell.
You'll get used to the smell. :flame: :firedevil :flame:

Rick XTRM XJ said:
It was a brisk 94 today. Not bad for Sept.

Die Harder is first on the list once it cools down.

Rick

That first double ledge is gonna be fun!

Hopefully, all the water holes are dry in front of all those waterfalls!

Take some pics, eh?

Rick XTRM XJ said:
Here's the pics........they should show up now. I linked them from another location.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Rick

Nope don't see um, and can't follow the link.

Dingo

Rick XTRM XJ said:
Here's the pics........they should show up now. I linked them from another location.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Rick
Nada
No pics
No links

JeepFreak21 said:
It became painfully obvious to me that I'm now a fulltime webwheeler... the first thing I thought of was: [img]http://www.slicky.net/smilies/pat.gif[/img] Billy[/QUOTE] like this? [b] [ ][/b]

Took it out this weekend for a quick shakedown run...here's my findings....

If using a chain for a limiting strap...make sure it's strong or it will break before you even get to the trail.

Dropping off a good size ledge at an angle, the high side shock tends to want to unload a bit (see previous).

The heep is surprisingly stable in off camber spots. I think it is due to the shocks being outboard of the framerails, and because they are only 12" shocks.

The XJ climbs ledges like nobodys business. The rear just stays planted. No hop, just traction.

I might still be able to keep up with the WCGIC on the way back to camp in JV. Again....it is suprisingly stable, and never bottomed out...even with only 4" uptravel.

Can't wait to get it on a real trail.

Here's a link to my updated album:
pics

Rick

Rick XTRM XJ said:
Took it out this weekend for a quick shakedown run...here's my findings....

If using a chain for a limiting strap...make sure it's strong or it will break before you even get to the trail.

Dropping off a good size ledge at an angle, the high side shock tends to want to unload a bit (see previous).

The heep is surprisingly stable in off camber spots. I think it is due to the shocks being outboard of the framerails, and because they are only 12" shocks.

The XJ climbs ledges like nobodys business. The rear just stays planted. No hop, just traction.

I might still be able to keep up with the WCGIC on the way back to camp in JV. Again....it is suprisingly stable, and never bottomed out...even with only 4" uptravel.

Can't wait to get it on a real trail.

Here's a link to my updated album:
pics

Rick
Very nice.
Love the spider web look cage. :cheers:
See ya at BOTW '06?

very nice and hope you dont patent any of that, I just found my basis to start with.

Please inform Me/Us if theres any airshock issues with the off camber and such. If not then I will have to go that route. The OD is so much less and usable outbound of frame rails due to the smaller OD it looks like.

Back