• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shifting Problems

homebrew

NAXJA Forum User
Okay Im gonna try and describe this in as little words as possible as to not confuse anyone/myself lol. I am having a problem shifting, when the engine is cold i can go straight into 1st from neutral. after the engine warms up it is practically impossible to shift into 1st. I have to shift into 3rd, 4th then back to first. after i get into first it shifts fine through all of the gears. when down shifting goes fine until I hit 2nd which grinds a little. this is a 91 XJ Sport 4.0ho with 186xxx miles. Is this a problem with the clutch/ flywheel/ transmission???? thanks in advance for the help

Sounds like the clutch master or slave cylinder is leaking and your clutch is not fully disengaged. You may want to try bleeding it after you check the fluid in it.

JoBo

I dont yet have a book on it, where is the bleeder located??? someone told me passanger side but Im not sure what to look for. I work at checkers maybe I should just break down and buy a book, and stop trying macgyver everything =)

Down on the bell housing. I'm not sure right of left but it shouldn't be hard to find. I read tip on bleeding the clutch cylinder on another brands ng. Use a hose going between a front brake bleeding screw to the slave cylinder's bleeding screw. Then pump the lutch cylinder full using the brake system.

JoBo

Back