• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ok Dana 300 or atlas in a XJ

RWKHausSupply

NAXJA Forum User
Well I dont want to do what I have done in the past and blow my cash twice...

I have the option of a Dana 300, flipped and 4:1 with HD output for about 1450 complete with all new parts or a atlas for 2085 new. Now the question I run in to is it really worth the extra $$ and time to save a little more to do the atlas? Is it really any benifits to a 6cyl setup to go atlas?

Its just going behind a 4.0, aw4, and driving a 8.8 and D30 w/4:56 and 34" tire...

Anyone thats done the Dana 300 swap I would appreciate any insight also in to the swap...

thanks

I bet and hear ya there, but its liek 600$ that could go toward one of the 100 other things that I will still need, so if the Dana 300 is just as worthy I am leaning that way...

How is the shifter on the atlas? I hear that theres been issues in the past with fitment? I am ditching the center counsole and will be building a custom one after the install of everything so I dont mind any cutting and such but dont want to cut much seeing as the floor is structural of course.

Well it depends. Are you sure you're considering all the extra cost to compare apples to apples? Will you need a spacer or clocking ring for the 300? Are you still going to have to buy a twin stick kit for the 300? If all things are truley equal than throw the 300 in. I've got a 300 sitting in my garage to replace my 231 in the JD if I ever kill it, but the CAT has a 4.3 Atlas & it is very nice.

Matt

Well all I have read says no clocking ring for a AW4 but then I have read that its alot easier to get a 3link front fitting in the usable space if the TC is clocked, so? That is some of the info I am hoping to get here.

As for apples to apples well its not really but close. The case is only 120 shipped to me, then 550 for the 4:1, 525 for the flip kit with the shifter setup, and then 125 (if I remember correctly) for the HD rear kit, but doubt I will do that since its not that crazy of a setup. then the little things like oil and such.

Hoping someone with the Dana 300 flipped in a XJ can enlighten me to experiences...

One of the advantages to the Atlas is it's shift on the fly. I'm in and out of 4lo-2lo a lot and it's nice not to have to stop when shifting.

very good feature ummmmm

The Atlas is great. I beat the heck out of my tunnel to clock it up, but it wasn't difficult at all, been in a few years now with no problems whatsoever. I figured the Atlas would outlast my XJ and it will go into whatever I build next or I can easily sell it for close to what I paid for it. TC

Back