• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Here's an odd one.

XplodJeepster

NAXJA Forum User
today - I shut of my january 1995 XJ - 4.0L HO, 5 spd, 4x4. and...

The Electric Fan remained on - it just stayed on, I was at my girlfriends house and trying to leave for school.

I unplugged it and drove to school, where I plugged it back in and the fan didn't turn on then. so I left it parked - plugged back together like a happy lil 'heep

I drive back home and shut the jeep down and that fan is still on - even with the key removed.

is it an issue with the fan controls - or overheating?

and if this may help any - I installed a subwoofer amp and plugged the + wires into a terminal on the side of the fuse box under the hood where other appropriate 12v devices may be plugged in, instead of attaching it to the battery like I prefer to do. - could this be an issue - because until my sub install the electric fan had never stayed on after the jeep is shut down.

I searched my owners manual - and this site - to no avail - HELP!

I have a 93. It wont. I know cause I have seen it. Fan is on cause its hot, shut engine off, no fan. Dont know what to say?

Could be an aftermarket mod, I've got a few friends with XJ's and they've done that to theirs only thing is it's on like a 20 minute timer.

XplodJeepster said:
today - I shut of my january 1995 XJ - 4.0L HO, 5 spd, 4x4. and...

The Electric Fan remained on - it just stayed on, I was at my girlfriends house and trying to leave for school.

I unplugged it and drove to school, where I plugged it back in and the fan didn't turn on then. so I left it parked - plugged back together like a happy lil 'heep

I drive back home and shut the jeep down and that fan is still on - even with the key removed.

is it an issue with the fan controls - or overheating?

and if this may help any - I installed a subwoofer amp and plugged the + wires into a terminal on the side of the fuse box under the hood where other appropriate 12v devices may be plugged in, instead of attaching it to the battery like I prefer to do. - could this be an issue - because until my sub install the electric fan had never stayed on after the jeep is shut down.

I searched my owners manual - and this site - to no avail - HELP!
What turns the amp off and on? Could you have some kind of power feedback.

I would check the wiring from the fan to wherever it goes and make sure its not shorting anywhere. Disconnect the sub/amp terminal for now and check all fuses and relays.

pete

you mean the relay? maybee the relay is sticking, that fan should only come on if your a/c is compressor is running. and should turn off when the key is off.

The control line to turn the relay that starts the fan on is neg (ground) and it comes from two different sources, one the A/C (switches on the fan when it is connected) the other one from the sensor at the front of the engine right on top of the hose conection, maybe you have a small short to ground in one of the cables and that is making the fan go on.

However the positive side of the relay is only powered when the ignition is ON so for sure you have a feedback from some of your new sound equipment connections, because if not the relay should cut the power to the fan.

Another possibility is that you have a sticking relay, that is: power is cut off by the ignition switch or by the temp sensor and the relay stays conected (closing the terminals) the positive feed to the relay I can not recall if it is connected to the ignition or permenent if in the first case that can also be the cause, you can discard very easily just by unplugging the fan relay and the A/C relay and switching them one for the other then you'll know if thats the problem.

SACEM

thanks everyone.

and I checked the + leads to the amp - and the only other thing around there is the big wire from the battery - so the sound gear is more than likely not the culprit.

and its definitely not an aftermarket mod - because I bought the jeep from the state surplus auction (old DNR rig) - I hold all the records on it, something of that magnitude would've been recorded anyways.

but I'll check for the relays - and does the wire go inside the cab? - I might've damaged the insulation when I brought the wire trough the firewall via the main harness behind the intake manifold.

thanks again for the help

XplodJeepster said:
would I be able to find that relay in my Haynes book?

if not - where is it - under hood, under dash? where?

thanks again.
Underhood there should be a big plastic box (black square, shape size color I think changed at one point or another). When you pop it open you'll see hte relays and the inside of the cover should have the relay pinout (which one is which). Also try looking in the owners manual: it should point you to the relays are for your year and which one is which.

XplodJeepster said:
would I be able to find that relay in my Haynes book?

if not - where is it - under hood, under dash? where?

thanks again.

The box is as kejtar said at the right side of the engine bay back of the battery, just open it by pressing the plastic latch at the rear side, look at the inner part of the lid and the position of all relays and fuses is clearly marked, you'll find for a/c, horn, ignition, AUX FAN, ABS, etc.

The AUX FAN relay is a small black box shaped device that you unplug by pulling it straight up, no special care ther its quite rugged, then do the same with another one (all are equal) and switch them around, check the fan operation and thats it.

SACEM

firehazzard said:
you mean the relay? maybee the relay is sticking, that fan should only come on if your a/c is compressor is running. and should turn off when the key is off.

Actually, it turns on at 217 degrees as well, AC running or not. It may be a mod, a nice one actually. See if it cuts off after a couple minutes. If it does... don't fix it if it isn't broken!

okay - I'll get that relay out and hit it with twelve volts and see if it sticks or not.

i take it that you can get these sortof things from autozone right?

XplodJeepster said:
okay - I'll get that relay out and hit it with twelve volts and see if it sticks or not.

i take it that you can get these sortof things from autozone right?
yup, shouldbe no more than a few bucks

well, in an interesting turn of events - I forgot that my fan continued to stay on, and never replaced the relay. but it doesn't stay on anymore...i'll have to check and see if I ever plugged it back in.

perhaps it was just the changing climate in washington at the moment, summer to fall. got some moisture or something up in there to make it stick

eitherway - its not acting up, and i'm not overheating, so yeah. no worries for now.

Back