• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

airsoft for tire balancing

rockwerks

NAXJA Forum User
who has done it and how many ounces per tire. 10,000 air soft pellets can be had for around 20.00. Dont know how that relates per oz of weight thought

have 10 35" MTR's and Beadlocks to balance.

search did little to help

These seem to be a great idea, but I can't imagine them working at slow speeds as there won't be enough centrifugal force to hold them to the inside of the tire.

Thoughts, experiences???

I've been running them for 3 months right now and NO problems at all!!!

I got mine at Walmart for $8 for 6500. I used 3oz in each of my 30x9.5

I think for yours it's somewhere in the range of 6-8oz. Made it rally easy with a dietary scale I got at wallyworld too.
Needless to say I only used a little over half of my bottle so maybe 2 will do the trick for ya.

I need to break the bead this week to see how they are holding up on the inside....Will post results by end of week.

my-xj-addiction said:
I got mine at Walmart for $8 for 6500. I used 3oz in each of my 30x9.5

Just curious, did you try running these tires WITHOUT the pellets? At that small size many tires don't need a whole lot to balance them. I've seen a lot that didn't need any weights on them. My BFG ATs didn't at 30x9.50.

yep but on a diffrent set of rims.... Each needed about 2 oz of lead to balance out.

But then again they were on diffrent rims.....

When I remounted I went with the reccomended application off one of the websites.

xjnation said:
So how much did it cost you? how many beads in and ounce? thanks?
I think it was around $65 shipped to me with 4 of the screened valves. I used 12 oz. instead of the 8 oz. they recommend for my tires because I cut off whole lugs ever once in a while and my tires are pretty beat up. Also, I figured if I ever changed tires I figured I'd never get them all out. My rig is still a DD so I was willing to spend a little more money on them over BBs or airsoft pellets.

I have no idea how many beads are in an ounce. They are very tiny, probably smaller than the size of the round sprinkles you can get for ice cream. I changed a tire last week and got a bunch stuck under my fingernails from scooping them up.

BrettM said:
airsoft pellets that you get at big chain stores are typically .12g each, sometimes they have .2g ones, but they'll be labeled as such.

I have about 2000 in a 35" MTR, which I figured is about 8oz. It works great.

Thast about what I figured so 10,000 will do a set of 5 So 20,000 should do me just fine., 40.00 to balance 10 big tires souns like a hell ofa deal!

Dirk Pitt said:
These seem to be a great idea, but I can't imagine them working at slow speeds as there won't be enough centrifugal force to hold them to the inside of the tire.

Thoughts, experiences???
Is tire balance at low speeds an issue?

JnJ said:
Is tire balance at low speeds an issue?

I notice an unbalanced tire almost as bad from stoplight to stoplight as I do on the interstate.

langer1 said:
Then you got other issues other than just balance.

I don't have issues.

My tires are balanced just fine.

When they are not balanced, I have balancing issues.

That's all.

Dirk Pitt said:
I don't have issues.

That's all.

man, you must be sensitive!

i've got 36" unbalanced tires... and they feel fine!! maybe i'm just lucky...

Dirk Pitt said:
I don't have issues.

That's all.
That's my point, if every things fine with your front end then balance don't make much differance. If something out of wack up front then balance will make a huge differance.

from what Ive read the pellets find the balance around 25 to 30 mph, Ive never noticed an out of balanced tire under 40 mph, even on Ali's XJ with MTR's hs one rim that is 10.5 oz's out of balance when she took it in yesterday. drove 200 miles without the weights (we on lost em on the highway). The tires felt fine till around 35 mph and got worse at 65 then planed out at 75...It takes a cetrain amount of inertia for the out of balance to be really noticed

Back