• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

best roof rack

markaboo929

NAXJA Forum User
i remember reading about o roof rack that bolts to the roof as well as the side rails .and did a search on this rack and came up no good .also what do you all think is a good roof rack that uses the gutter mounts and not the factory roof rack it self?

You can get just about any roof rack that mounts to the gutters.

If you are looking for all out strength, go for a steel rack. Con Ferr is a pretty good choice when it comes to this. They do, however, seem to rust quite a bit, but that's to be expected with steel.

If you are looking for a good all around rack that is inexpensive, try something like a Surco. They are aluminum so they are lightweight and won't rust. They aren't exactly super heavy duty racks, but if you're just looking for a place to stash the spare and stick some lights and camping equipment, these would be perfect. I'm ordering mine once I get out of school today, along with some Hella 500s. At Summit (www.summitracing.com) you can get the rack, light brackets, gutter mounts, and some Hellas for around $350 I believe. They have free ground shipping, too, if your order is under 150 lbs. Mine should be here by Wednesday.

Hope that helps...

markaboo929 said:
i remember reading about o roof rack that bolts to the roof as well as the side rails .and did a search on this rack and came up no good .also what do you all think is a good roof rack that uses the gutter mounts and not the factory roof rack it self?
Look at farmer matt racks (cotact forum user Farmer Matt) and at racks that Captain Ron makes (contact Captain Ron). I know that Matt has a website but I don't have it handy, not sure about Ron.

I Think It Was Farmer Matt Or Farmboydesigns I Think As For The Quadratec 1 It Looks Like The Sides Are Kinda Skimppy.or Lack Of Support.thanks For Info.i Am Using It For Luggage And Eguipment For Road Trips So It Needs To Be Sturdy And Carry Some Good Weight Like 200 Lbs Or So.

markaboo929 said:
I Think It Was Farmer Matt Or Farmboydesigns I Think As For The Quadratec 1 It Looks Like The Sides Are Kinda Skimppy.or Lack Of Support.thanks For Info.i Am Using It For Luggage And Eguipment For Road Trips So It Needs To Be Sturdy And Carry Some Good Weight Like 200 Lbs Or So.

I Testify that the Farmer Boy rack is extremely sturdy and keeps the trees away for your ride.

For all out strength.. I vote for Kargomaster, pricey though.
And rust will set in like any steel rack.
But I had my 31" spare mounted, camping gear packed all around the spare, and me standing on top of the spare tying down gear... the floor rails didn't even flex.

Back