• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Studded Tires

hillbilly_jeeper

NAXJA Member #1081
I have an interesting opertunity, and interesting question. As part of my deal to come back to my old job, my boss had offered to buy me a set of studded tires for the winter. My first thought was, hmmmm...i need new tirers...i think pro-comp mud's are studdable....I wonder if he has any idea how much a set of 33" mud terrain tires are....That being said, What affect does wheeling on rock and wheeling have on studded tires or studded tires have on wheeling. Will i be ripping out studds, or affecting traction on hard dry rock?

(posted here, not sure if therse a better place)

Try wheeling in chains, see how that works out :D

Seriously though, studded tires are intended for snow/ice only. Start rock crawling and you'll only ruin the studs really fast. I don't have any personal experience with this though.

Yeah. I know. Kinda like driving on dry pavement wears out your studs pretty fast. My dilima is, im only gonna be driving to work one day a week, maybe 2 sometimes, the others i carpool with my dad. And working at a ski-resort, studded tires would be nice. not to mention a free set of tires. And most of the rocks will be under snow anyways. Even if i end up going half with him, because the mud terrains are more expensize than standard snow tires, its still a really good deal. But are the studs gonna be more a pain than there worth when i go wheeling on the weekends.

hillbilly_jeeper said:
Yeah. I know. Kinda like driving on dry pavement wears out your studs pretty fast. My dilima is, im only gonna be driving to work one day a week, maybe 2 sometimes, the others i carpool with my dad. And working at a ski-resort, studded tires would be nice. not to mention a free set of tires. And most of the rocks will be under snow anyways. Even if i end up going half with him, because the mud terrains are more expensize than standard snow tires, its still a really good deal. But are the studs gonna be more a pain than there worth when i go wheeling on the weekends.

Just get some where they can take the studs out.

Are they legal in your state? Alot of places they aren't because studs put holes in the road that fill with water which expands upon freezing and then cracks the road.

hillbilly_jeeper said:
I have an interesting opertunity, and interesting question. As part of my deal to come back to my old job, my boss had offered to buy me a set of studded tires for the winter. My first thought was, hmmmm...i need new tirers...i think pro-comp mud's are studdable....I wonder if he has any idea how much a set of 33" mud terrain tires are....That being said, What affect does wheeling on rock and wheeling have on studded tires or studded tires have on wheeling. Will i be ripping out studds, or affecting traction on hard dry rock?

(posted here, not sure if therse a better place)

Have him buy you non studded tires. Buy yourself a nice set of snow chains front and rear.

Now that I think of it there devices now that clamp to your wheels that act as studs and eliminating the need for chains. My brother who lives in Calif. has them for his car.

cal said:
Have him buy you non studded tires. Buy yourself a nice set of snow chains front and rear.
The problem is, the deal is for studded tires. If i dont want studded tires, i dont get free tires. And i know studs will be nice driving on the ice this winter. BUt i also know that therse always the chance of finding rocks to play on. I was just wondering is anyone had any experiance running studds off-road.

Living in Colorado, I ran studded tires for many years. It is an old wives tale that the studs wear out faster than the tire. They wear at about the same rate. They make a bit more noise and it is fun to do a burnout and watch the sparks. They wouldn't hurt on the rocks, heck they might help. As for tearing chunks out of the tire because of the studs, the stud will come out first. We ran studded mud and snows year round on the farm/ranch and did our share of abusing the tires. If it makes a difference, it will be only a couple of percent either way. I say a free set of tires are a free set of tires. They sure do wonders on the ice.

old_man said:
Living in Colorado, I ran studded tires for many years. It is an old wives tale that the studs wear out faster than the tire. They wear at about the same rate. They make a bit more noise and it is fun to do a burnout and watch the sparks. They wouldn't hurt on the rocks, heck they might help. As for tearing chunks out of the tire because of the studs, the stud will come out first. We ran studded mud and snows year round on the farm/ranch and did our share of abusing the tires. If it makes a difference, it will be only a couple of percent either way. I say a free set of tires are a free set of tires. They sure do wonders on the ice.

Thanks. Ive driven on and used studded tire for years, just never on my play rig. I kinda figured worst case, id pull a few studs out on the rocks, assuming i even get on the rock this winter.

Back