• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Bumper

HoodRichXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know if there is a mounting difference between rear bumpers for a 96- and a 97+? I know the side panels are different but I've got the bushwackers and I removed to factory end caps and removed the riveted on bracket. I have a line on a warn rear bumper and carrier but its for a 96-. thanks steve

Don't know about that specific bumper, but I have a 96 and my buddy has a 2000, and we both have C-Rok bumpers. They mount the same, but he did have to drill out the support bracket on the rear quarter panels that hold the bumper caps on. But as for mounting the bumper itself, there was no difference.

I will say, however, that there is a slight difference in how the bumper fits around the rear hatch. The 97+ have a 45* angle at each bottom corner, whereas the 96- have a 90* corner edge. You can see what I'm talking about in the these 2 pics:
DSC03709.jpg

DSC03670.jpg

Mine is the white 96 and because of the contrast, it's a little hard to see the corner I'm talking about, but on my buddy's green 2000, you can see the 45* corner down by the tail light. This may be what keeps a 97+ bumper from fitting on a 96-, but the other way around should fit fine. But even then, both of ours are made for 97+ (that's the way C-Rok makes them now) and so I would think it wouldn't be a problem at all.

Yea the hatches on 97+ cherokees hangs down a bit more than the previous years. I believe that's about the only difference as mentioned above. Just another point of view being reassured.

Back