• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

loss of accelleration after 55mph+

xtrememtbiker85

NAXJA Forum User
while accellerating my automatic 95 xj up to hwy speeds i loose my go go at 55mph. it does not matter if i floor it unless i let off the gas other wise the rpms stay about 2000 to 2500. i replaced my tps and no luck. sometimes every once and a while it will drive totally fine but most time it seems like i have lost me over drive gear or like being in 5th gear and trying to pass. plus i think its killing my mpg. any help is appreciated.

i'm thinking maybe you're catalytic convertor is plugged up and/or breaking down inside.
will it rev higher in neutral?
does the exhaust smell "strange"?
take it for a run up the highway or somewhere you can max it out for a few minutes. pull over and get under there and look at the cat. they can glow red-hot when they develop restrictions. watch your floor and carpets too thats alot of heat.
if an o2 sensor (or any other related to the EFI system) goes bad it can run rich and eventually kill your cat.

not my cat. i just had a hi flow cat and flowmaster exhaust installed a month ago and it did it before. i thinki figured it out though and its very stupid of me not to realize it sooner.. fuel filter. i asked my friend at work and it was the first thing he suggested nad it makes sense. for the 10 bucks i will give it a trya nd see what happens.

xtrememtbiker85 said:
not my cat. i just had a hi flow cat and flowmaster exhaust installed a month ago and it did it before. i thinki figured it out though and its very stupid of me not to realize it sooner.. fuel filter. i asked my friend at work and it was the first thing he suggested nad it makes sense. for the 10 bucks i will give it a trya nd see what happens.
I just had the same problem, got so bad this weekend it was cutting out in the mountains, swapped the filter and it's like new.

Not trying to hi-jack the thread, but where the heck is the fuel filter on a '92 4.0L I6???? Can't find a pic or write up anywhere.

its on the drivers side rear mounte don the inside of the unibody rail nea the gas tank. the black cylindrical thing with a hose on each end.

Back