• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1st trip on my TnT's...(a few issue's)

mack

NAXJA Forum User
well, i had to ramp my jeep before we went on our trip,and to check out the longer shocks and 26" brakelines, when i did we had some issue's, first..when the driver side is at full stuff, the pinion hits the upper control arm pertty bad, NONE of the jam nut stay tight, and the pass side spring want to fall out, but all of this can wait, all but the yoke hitting the UCA's, i have to find out why, has anyone seen this before???

check out the trip in the pic forums.
mypicsofstuff107.jpg

this is to much flex!!
mypicsofstuff106.jpg

mypicsofstuff110.jpg

OK here goes some input:
Springs: Get some limiting straps..that's about the only thing that is going to keep them from coming unseated aside from really long coils that have alot of compression (hope you get what I mean)
Jam Nuts: Maybe use some threadlocker?? Aside from that just reefing them into place is all I can think of.
Pinion: The only part I can think of trackbar. iI don't know if you have an adjustable one but maybe you are off center and need to adjust it. That's all I can think of.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: Bumpstops may do a world of good too.

yes i can adjust the trackbar, but won't the arms and the pinion still be in the same place?? your moving the whole axle with the arms on the axle.

It's going to change the angle from the frame to the axle. I don't know how much it's hitting but it may be enough.

but the upper arms are bolted on the lowers, i'm not sure i'm getting it, at first i was thing the same thing, but after looking at it awhile, i don't think that will fit it...:dunno:
GirlScout1 said:
It's going to change the angle from the frame to the axle. I don't know how much it's hitting but it may be enough.

other then this stuff, the kit is awsome!! the ride is great, and flex...my god! the flex!!

mack said:
mypicsofstuff107.jpg

this is to much flex!!

I'd have to agree. From what I can see in the pic above you have the coil spring hitting the drop track bar bracket as well. I also don't see any indication of a bump stop coming anywhere close to making contact or even a bump stop extention at all.

Please give details on the lift height.

With the coil falling out, a retention device or limit strap is going to be needed. As for the jam nuts, you'd better eat your wheaties. Nominal torque for a 1.125-12 fastener is 1273 ft-lbs. :eek: We won't discuss the value for the 1.375-12 jam nuts on the LCA. ;) Best advise is get them as tight as you possibly can, possibly using a cheater of some sorts. Got a really big burly buddy? :)

Looks like it worked great on the trail, give us a call in the morning. 307-214-7754. We can help you sort it out.

Bob

but i would have to ad almost 6" of bumpstop, does that sound right?

Bob-I'm guessing by your sig line that you are one of the Go-to guys at TnT. Is he getting the hit due to overflex/no stops and that's what causing the hit? By the way you guys make a real nice product from all I have seen.

Flex is over-rated. Now, lockers front and rear... they are the bread and butter of this sport.

Looks to me like you have too much flex for the kit you've chosen. Yes, there is such a thing as too much flex. Shorter shocks, bumpstops, or limiting straps will help you keep from hitting the pinion and help you to fall within the parameters of the kit design. I had the same problem, but that was after I swapped in a HP44 -- which the kit I chose was not designed for. I had to put an 8* bend in the upper control arm, but with your set-up, a bend doesn't look like it will work.

Original control arm/pinion relationship:

UCA1.jpg

Modified contol arm/pinion relationship:

bent2.jpg

well, yes and no, a good amount of flex will help you keep as many tires on the ground as you can, but now you run into this stuff, coils falling out and so on, i do agree that i may need more bumpstop, but the 33's are just starting to touch the bushwackers when it hits, like i said i would have to ad almost 6"-7" of bumpstop to help this, it only hits it by a hair!

oh yeah, i am locked front and rear..:laugh3:

Just curious how much lift, or better yet, what components do you have installed? I'm close to getting my kit done and curious what you have installed. Thanks.

front is RE 4.5" zj coils with ACOS, the rear is also RE 4.5" pack with jks boomerang shackles and a 1" block, front and rear it just a bit over 6.25" of lift.
burby777 said:
Just curious how much lift, or better yet, what components do you have installed? I'm close to getting my kit done and curious what you have installed. Thanks.

lose some lift or get some bigger tires and add less bumpstops than you need now. or keep your current set up and bumpstop the hell out of it i guess. i'd do a combo of the first two

mack said:
front is RE 4.5" zj coils with ACOS
Bingo! the ACOS may be why you need so much bumpstop extension. My 2 cents. May make zero sense. :dunno:

but i already added some shims to ACOS to make them longer.
NHextremeXJ said:
Bingo! the ACOS may be why you need so much bumpstop extension. My 2 cents. May make zero sense. :dunno:

add some more hockey pucks and some limit straps or build some extended bumpstops with a coil retainer. .....nice flex =its only as good as the ground pressure on that tire hanging in the air.

Congrats on getting the TnT kit... I love mine... I'd agree with the others and try to bumpstop it. Also double check that your axle is centered.

For the jamb nuts a big crescent wrench is your best friend [or a pair of C-Locks]. On the lower arm use a pry bar to center the Flexjoint. A friend comes in handy to do this, as one can hold the pry bar while the other tightens the heck outta that jamb nut... The uppers shouldn't be as bad.... HTH

Will.

5" of bumpstop, 25" limiting straps and tighten your jam nuts when vehicle is level AND make sure the joints are level too so they dont brake loose from the arm twisting.

Back