• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Frame stiffening AND a rollcage?

TrailHunter

NAXJA Member #1309
I can see the value of frame stiffening, but I'm wondering how far I need to go with a full roll cage properly tied into the sub-frame. I'm looking to chop the roof and build a full cage that will tie into the sub-frame using smaller sections of plate, say 3x4" rectangles welded on. This opposed to sleeving the whole frame.

My thinking is the cage is going to be rigid and it will just "hold" the frame underneith it. I've read from others that have sleeved say 2/3s of the frame and the joint at the end of the sleve is now under more stress causing failures there. Using small flats might allow the frame to flex some preventing failures.

I'm just trying to find the right compromise between weight and "strong enough". I can also see some value to sleeving the frame right in the middle for armor reasons because I've already punched a few dents there.

Feedback from people that have done it both ways is appreciated. Fully sleeved versus small squares of plate for the cage tie-ins.

Shouldn't this be posted in the Advanced Fabrication and Engineering section?

I think frame stiffening is easier than building a cage which is why many go that route.

If you want to build a good cage without frame stiffening the cage would have to tie into the frame at the suspension mounting locations so the forces from the suspension are distributed through the cage and frame directly from their mounting locations.

Then there is the issue of the thin unibody rails that will dent and bend when hit hard enough with a rock...you'll more than likely want to add some sort of flat bar slider to the bottom which will also make mounting things like skid plates easier. By the time you're done this with the cage, and reinforced suspension mounts you'll probably find most of your frame is reinforced even though you didn't specifically intend to do it.

Back