• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My lift is... postponed - again.

ChandlerXJ

NAXJA Forum User
So today, I woke up at 6 am, to get my buddy for 7 and get to the mobil where my friend works to use the lift and tools to do my 2'' BB lift, coil spacers and shackles. After taking the whole front end apart and getting it ready for the spacers, we realized the coil compressor was MIA. It really sucked not being able to get the lift done today, but since the shop is free on sundays, this gives me a whole 7 days more to PB blast the shackles. It was also nice to get the front end apart and clean some of the stuff I usually can't get to. I also greased all the fittings, which was good. Good thing we didn't do the shackles first. And i would have bought or rented one but auto zone was 15 miles away and NAPA or whatever's was 86 bucks to buy... Looks like I'll have a BB write up next week! Can't complain, air tools and lift and tire balancing and mounting for free... will i need alignment? Oh well..

You don't need coil compressors to do a spacer BB.

There are write-ups all over this site that tell how to do it. Even easier if you have a hoist to put the Jeep on.

You should be able to get the coils off/on without a sping compressor.

So these things don't limit axle drop -- disconnect the shocks at the axle and pull the calipers off (so brake hoses don't limit drop) but be sure to bungee them so they don't just hang by the hoses.

If that still doesn't drop enough, jack up the opposite side of the axle a bit which will make the side you're working on drop even further.

should be a 2 to 3 hour job, at most

My lift kit install has been postponed also... due to budget.

I have Rusty's 3" kit and rims/tires ready to go on, I mounted/balanced my new wheels yesterday (FREE, gas station I used to work at). There's just a couple of things holdin' me back.. Adjustable Trac Bar, need access to tools/equipment (floor jacks, jack stands, air/hand tools, spring compressor) The guys down at the gas station won't let me use the lift, and most important and expensive: Hub assembly! I got a seal leakin and 'clunk' in 4wd.. I plan to replace the hubs, and purchase the Adj. Trac Bar before I lift the XJ.

geeez, if I would've known it was gonna take this long.. I'd be savin for a 4" kit with 32"s, SYE.. the whole sha-bang!

Bowzer said:
My lift kit install has been postponed also... due to budget.

I have Rusty's 3" kit and rims/tires ready to go on, I mounted/balanced my new wheels yesterday (FREE, gas station I used to work at). There's just a couple of things holdin' me back.. Adjustable Trac Bar, need access to tools/equipment (floor jacks, jack stands, air/hand tools, spring compressor) The guys down at the gas station won't let me use the lift, and most important and expensive: Hub assembly! I got a seal leakin and 'clunk' in 4wd.. I plan to replace the hubs, and purchase the Adj. Trac Bar before I lift the XJ.

geeez, if I would've known it was gonna take this long.. I'd be savin for a 4" kit with 32"s, SYE.. the whole sha-bang!

Define long. I've been collecting parts for my lift since March.........:laugh3:

spring compressor is a waste of time. Just disconnect the swaybar, trackbar and LCAs and it's not needed. Your going to have to do most of that stuff anyways so don't worry about it. Used hubs can be had for about $50 from www.oly4x4.com . Hope this helps!

Compressing the springs with your own arms isn't that difficult either. Just let everything droop as much as possible, take out the spring, put in the spacer, put it all back together. If I can make a 6.5" spring fall out from droop, so can you.

Back