• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cheapest decent bed liner?

Steve88XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I was looking at Checker Auto today, and I found Duplicolor liner for $45 (just under a gallon), and a Herculinder kit that includes the roller, brushes, sandpaper, and a gallon for $60 on sale. It's usually $99, but is $20 off with a $20 rebate.

Sound like a good deal?

I want to do my whole floor, as well as the back sides. Anyone ever done that? If so, was a gallon enough?

I'm gonna start prepping tomorrow, I don't have to buy the liner quite yet, but I wanna get some decent stuff at a good price.

Thanks guys.

Try searching for bedliner and Herculiner. If you have any more questions, then ask.

That said, Herc is a much better product. Prep will determine the outcome.

Herculiner is a way better way to go then duplicolor.
For the floors, keep in mind that herc doesn't really do anything for heat shielding.

Kejtar said:
For the floors, keep in mind that herc doesn't really do anything for heat shielding.

I've had Herculiner on my floor for about 2 years. Holds up well, but like Kejtar said, it doesn't do anything for the hear on the passenger side. I'm still trying to figure out a good way to cool down the floorboard there.

Robert

XJWheelie said:
I've had Herculiner on my floor for about 2 years. Holds up well, but like Kejtar said, it doesn't do anything for the hear on the passenger side. I'm still trying to figure out a good way to cool down the floorboard there.

Robert
There is a thread someplace around here which is about a year old and it talks about special paints with ceramic particles which is used as isolation in such situations. You might want to put a coat of that on top of the herc and either leave that on top or reapplpy another coat of herc on top of it.

Herculiner beats the heck out of Duplicolor in the do-it-yourself realm. I have Line-x in the bed of my truck and that stuff simply rules (but it's not do-it-yourself and is quite a bit more expensive). The Herculiner in my XJ has held up perfectly, even being unscathed by a battery acid spill. As has been pointed out - prep is the KEY - follow the directions and you'll be happy (and wear long chemical resistant gloves and a face shield - that stuff has to wear off!)
I think the complaints about heat are a little overstated, but if you're sensitive your best bet is to place a shield between the cat and muffller and the underside of the floorpan.

Thanks for the info, guys.

I picked up the Herculiner at Checker's for $80, and it has a $20 rebate. I also got some sandpaper, black paint, and painting tape. I painted all the rest of the inside today, so the sanding is next. Probably next weekend I'll roll the herc on, take pics, and show the results.

Don't forget to pick up some Xylene. That's the solvent the directions call for - actually it's the same stuff that Herculiner is thinned with in the can so that's what you smell as the Herculiner dries and cures over the first week or so. You'll want to work in a well-ventilated area. at least if you value your present number of functional brain cells.
Good luck with the project.

Back