• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil Filter Adapter O rings

Boatwrench

NAXJA Forum User
88XJ 4.0/auto/231 no AC

Are the correct p/n for the O rings 1-04720363 for an 88? If not what is the correct number?

Changed the motor mounts this afternoon and after cleaning the adapter noticed the three O rings I got in the package did not appear to be the correct size.

The Large O ring from adapter to block was correct.
The other two were the culprits.

This adapter does NOT have the torx or allen head but an actual hex 16mm bolt head with a large shoulder. The large shoulder bolt is sealed to the adapter with a 1-3/4 O-ring. This bolt also has an O ring in a groove on the stem of the bolt. The middle size of the two culptrits looked too thick and would roll out of the groove when installing the bolt. The smallest was about 5/8" diameter and looked not to fit anything I had.

Search the posts with key wordds Oil, Filter and O rings back to Jan 05 with no luck. Looked over MadXJ's site about the conversion, but the P/N he has listed is the one above. He does state make sure you get the correct one, but no other number is listed so I assume.....

Thanks,
Tom

I show a part # 33002970K for 87-92 XJ,s with 4.0 or 4.2
Wayne

Tom -
Per 1987-1990 OEMR Catalogue, here are the part numbers. Note that these numbers may have been superceded - my catalogued was printed in NOV1990...

3300 2970 - o-ring, 0.80". This one should go around the bolt in the groove
3300 2971 - o-ring, 1.30". Goes under the flanged bolt head
3300 2972 - o-ring, 2.48". Goes between the adapter and the engine block.

That bolt head, you'll find, responds well to a 5/8" 6-point wrench. A couple tips for you...

1) Use assembly grease or similar to install the o-ringed bolt through the adapter to prevent scuffing. It will also help to keep the end orings in place while you're working.

2) Make sure the threads going into the block are clean. if you don't, the bolt is P/N 3300 2700. Don't ask me how I know this.

3) It is not necessary to use sealer on that bolt, but a little never-seez or assembly grease won't go amiss.

4) TAKE YOUR TIME! This is a simple job, but it's painfully easy to screw up! If you feel that the bolt is hanging on anything on the way in, STOP and back it out so you can check! Breaking that bolt is a pain, and it's also a huge pain to get back out once you break it. One of my projects at Works in Progress is to come up with a suitable replacement for that bolt (and get rid of the damn Torx head on later versions...)

5-90

Back