• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

plug on tranny/x-fer for reverse light's ?

jeannies_driver

NAXJA Forum User
where the heeeeell is it ??? my reverse light's stopped working, or so i think they did,just picked up this XJ not long ago and didn't pay attention but i thought they were working.
i crawled under it and followed the wiring looking for a switch it may have come off and i find the 2 pole wiring plug on the end of the harness,,,,but where does it plug into ? my NSS switch is plugged in and run's up to the firewall. this plug is on the driver's side of the tranny, tied into the wiring harness that run's behind the shifter bracket for the x-fer case, but i didn't find anything there to plug it into ? so tell me just how dumb i am PLEASE ! :D

Do you have a auto or manual? I know the manuals have the switch that screws into the Pass. side of the tranny. It has two wires coming out of it and looks brass. Gib

jeannies_driver said:
where the heeeeell is it ??? my reverse light's stopped working, or so i think they did,just picked up this XJ not long ago and didn't pay attention but i thought they were working.
i crawled under it and followed the wiring looking for a switch it may have come off and i find the 2 pole wiring plug on the end of the harness,,,,but where does it plug into ? my NSS switch is plugged in and run's up to the firewall. this plug is on the driver's side of the tranny, tied into the wiring harness that run's behind the shifter bracket for the x-fer case, but i didn't find anything there to plug it into ? so tell me just how dumb i am PLEASE ! :D
That plug is for the 4WD light indicator light. there should be a switch for it either where the t-case lever is or in the rear of the t-case by the speedo.
Reverse lighting is part of the NSS switch.
We are talking AW4 auto right?

yeah sorry,,89 XJ auto tranny

still didn't see that plug when i was under there,,guess the bracket has to come off to get to the switch for the 4x4 light...

so the reverse light switch is actually part of the NSS switch ? now what,,,beside's back to searching :dunno:
oh and it does start and i can get it out of park,,so my NSS isn't bad correct ?

jeannies_driver said:
yeah sorry,,89 XJ auto tranny

still didn't see that plug when i was under there,,guess the bracket has to come off to get to the switch for the 4x4 light...

so the reverse light switch is actually part of the NSS switch ? now what,,,beside's back to searching :dunno:
oh and it does start and i can get it out of park,,so my NSS isn't bad correct ?
The switch thats called NSS has several funtions one set of contactes are NSS one is reverse one is Drive 1-2 one is drive 3. and one is drive 4.
I will see if I can find a diagram.

Try taking off the NSS switch, taking it apart, and cleaning it out very well. There's a 'sweeper arm' in there, with 2 spring loaded brass contacts that sweep across and make contact with other contact strips. Use fine sand paper on the brass contacts, then put dielectric grease in there, and reassemble.
It will probably solve the problem, but if not, it is worth doing anyways. My backup lights worked intermittantly on my 95 at first, then not at all for 3-4 years; till I cleaned my NSS.
BTW, there are two nuts on the NSS. The small one holds it on, more or less. Take it off, but only loosen the large nut. Then pry on that nut to remove the NSS. It's a tight fit, hard to remove. But I think that's the best point to pry from. Also, the harness goes up by the firewall and plugs in to other wires... tie a rope or something on it when you disconnect that plug, so that you can pull it back up through the engine compartment when you're done.
HTH

yeah i get the feeling i'm going to dread doing this....

hafta to go to pep boy's and pick up some dielectric grease and scotch brite. sux the part's store 2 minute's form here is closed today,,,1/2 hour ride to the closest place open. hope this goes well.......

Like he said, its really not bad. I pull them all the time from the yards. The top bolt is a 12. Pull that one out and then jam a flathead under the larger, bottom bolt. Pry it away using the tranny. Just remember the back side is plastic, so be careful if you pry from behind. I usually get it 1/2 off by using the bottom bolt, then just scrape against the bottom metal part and it comes right off. Then again, I live in the West and I have heard of them being impossible to pull in the East (salt roads, wimpy easterners? j/k). Inside there are two contacts, underneath of which there are some springs. People say to open it in a bag, but I have never had the springs shoot out, as there is too much grease in there that it holds the contacts fine. If you mess anything up, shoot me an email, I have 5 or 6 whole NSS's and some for parts I'll sell for cheap.

Kellen

well just checked the continuity on "A" and "E" in reverse with key on and got nothing so i know where the problem is for sure now. there's a ton of oil/grease/dirt crap all jammed around it i'm scraping off, hopefully all that oil will make it easier :D

oh and to make this so much more enjoyable,,i have exhaust, tranny line's and don't forget my LONG ARM"s are in the way,,,,again ,, "YAY". :banghead:

yup that was it :D
all apart and back together now and working fine. came apart a lot easier than i thought it would after i figured out that was a post and not part of the switch. i was trying to pry it straight up and not straight out toward's me, but it came off with a lil wrestling. thank's for the help ;)

Back