• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Issues after 44 and SYE install

egon

Dunlop Slayer
NAXJA Member
I just finished installing an XJ 44, an RE hack and tap SYE, and RE CV driveshaft. The installations went fine with no big surprises. There are 2 things I noticed after the work was done.

At speeds above 55 there is a slight drone that does not get louder nor goes away as speed increases. At the rear axle I have RE 3.5" leaves, 1.25" shackle, and 4* shims which puts the pinion angle about a degree below the shaft angle, where it should be.

The other issue is when coasting in gear there is a chattering noise. In neutral, coasting at any speed, there is no chatter.

Any ideas?

--Matt

Last edited:
The drone could be your front shaft, they wear at the slip connection and could be making the noise. Either that or gear whine, but gears usually make more noise as speed increases. The chattering could be from a bad trans mount.

The front shaft has always been in good condition, its due for a new u-joint which will go in soon. I'm going to do test drives with out either drive shaft to see if the noise persists. The tranns mount is a year old and does not show the signs of wear the last one did.

Thanks
--Matt

Strangely enough the chatter has decreased in volume significantly. Sometime tomorrow I'm going to take a closer look at things.

How hot should the diff housing be after about 25 mins highway driving, flat road, at about 70? Air temp about 85.

--Matt

Some silly questions to ask, but...did you put enough fluid back in the case? Does RE grease their u-joints? I don't see why they wouldn't but it's worth taking a look.

Back