• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Kevin

NAXJA Forum User
The XJ is getting ready to turn 150,000. Probably will hit the mark on the ride home from work today. What are some good maintenace things to check out at this milestone? :repair:

Its a 95.

As long as all your fluids have been coming out reasonably clean, at 150K I'd do a detailed check for leaks, check major electrical connectors for any incipient corrosion (and clean them anyhow - especially any bulkhead connectors that tend to get overpacked with grease at the factory...) check front end/steering goodies, and check as many sensors as possible. It's a cinch you're due for HEGO sensors (if you haven't changed them already) and the rest could probably bear checking - all but the HEGO can usually be checked readily with a decent thermometer, pot of water, hair dryer, and a good ohmmeter (I tend to prefer an analogue meter for variable resistance checks, since it's more likely to show up any flat spots in the sensor that will mandate replacement.)

I have a 1994 FSM if you need test specs...

5-90

sure do what 5-90 sez if you want. at 250k on my '88 i just took a pic of the odometer, opened up a 12 pack and got drunk with my Jeep and told it how much i loved it.

:cheers:

dirt714 said:
sure do what 5-90 sez if you want.
:cheers:

I'd follow 5-90 into the worst firestorm, no questions asked.

Damn smart guy...always helpful...and has some bad ass training under his belt. You want someone on your side ? He's one of only 3 people I'd take to a serious dance around here.

Good advise to follow. It's always smart to stay on top of your junk so it doesn't get on top of you.

Maintenance = Peace of mind.

follow up with him.

Why thank you - I can't see any way to take that but as a compliment!

Blame my attitude toward maintenance on my late grandfather (to whom I will be dedicating my next book. I find it oddly appropriate to dedicate a book on swappology to him...) since that's where I get it. Partly genetic, partly by example.

I also get my "generalist" nature from him.

Oh - just out of curiousity, do you suppose you could PM me and tell me who the other two are, and why? If I'm going to be put into a league, I'd just like to know how I got there. I get my advice on leagues and such from Groucho Marx; "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member." That's exactly what I told MENSA back in 86...

5-90

I always make sure I celebrate mileage milestones in 4-wheel drive in the dirt. 100k alongside the interstate in Baltimore, 200k in the dirt near home. Who knows where 300k will be.

red91inWA said:
I'd follow 5-90 into the worst firestorm, no questions asked.

Damn smart guy...always helpful...and has some bad ass training under his belt. You want someone on your side ? He's one of only 3 people I'd take to a serious dance around here.

Good advise to follow. It's always smart to stay on top of your junk so it doesn't get on top of you.

Maintenance = Peace of mind.

follow up with him.

make that one of 2....

Back