• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hub/wheel bearing

JVRacer04

NAXJA Forum User
my wheel bearings are pretty bad ... has anyone here ever replaced just the bearing and not the whole hub?

i hear (on d30s) its a job that requires a special tool that not everyone can get so most ppl just replace the whole hub... but $11 compared to $115 ouch

No, you can't just replace the bearings on 91+ XJs, although I believe some older ones yuo cuold.. No special tools needed to remove the hub/bearing. Bearings are about $80 from tapco.

-Chris

Talyn said:
No, you can't just replace the bearings on 91+ XJs, although I believe some older ones yuo cuold.. No special tools needed to remove the hub/bearing. Bearings are about $80 from tapco.

-Chris

thats what im asking about... its an 89 and i hear its a pain in the ass to remove the bearing from the hub... just askin if anyones done it? otherwise i guess ill just fork out the money i dont have and replace the whole assembly

You need a BIG press to do it. There are two, not one, bearings -- an inner and an outer. I don't know where you got your $11 price -- Quadratec is usually pretty reasonable, and my recollection is that they get over $50 just for the two bearings, and then there's a seal involved as well.

The bearings are a press fit, same idea as carrier bearing to the carrier housing in a differential. To press the old ones off and the new ones on you need probably at least a 20-ton shop press, and some special drivers to make it all work.

I'm always in favor or repairing or rebuilding rather than discarding, but I sat down a year or two back and tried hard to convince myself it would be worth doing this. Couldn't make myself believe it.

I looked into having new bearings pressed into an old hub when I got my XJ, after the shop costs it would end up more than the cost of a new hub, save yourself some time and headaches and just get a fully assembled new unit.

We're currently running a hub on our '89 that we rebuilt. It's held up fine for over a year now. That being said I wouldn't bother, we won't. You do need a large press and some bearing seperators. Also by the time you buy all the bearings and seals seperately it's only about a $60 saving over a reasonably priced replacement, add in your time or machine shop cost it's barely worth it.

Back