• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Reese Hitch

ROBZ95Xj

NAXJA Forum User
is the class 3 reese universal trailer hitch strong enough to be used as a tow point?

Let me know if you can get that mounted, because I tried the Reese Class 4 hitch and I just don't think it's going to work. It doesn't seem possible to get the nuts and bolts inside the frame like the instructions say. I'd love any tips you got. Thanks.

Two things about the Reese universal.

(1) It hangs WAAAAAY below the bumper. Massive loss of departure angle clearance.

(2) I tried mightily to install one on an '88 Cherokee. To make it "fit" I would have had to modify either the hitch or the rear sheet metal -- or use 3/8" spacers between the hitch and the frame rail at all points of attachment. I was not willing to do that, so I bought a Hidden Hitch from JC Whitney and it fit perfectly with no hassles, and tucked up a LOT higher and neater behind the bumper.

I also went with the hidden hitch. Fit is nice and it looks up to teh task of recovery. Here's a chessy little write up I did:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/325707/13

Not 100% sure of the enforcement placement on the Drv's side. I think it's the same as the pass side though.

Back