• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

still chasing vibration

jephs422

NAXJA Forum User
It all started when I needed to change out my flexplate. I went to carquest and picked up a new flexplate. Which, by the way, was the only one within 100 miles of me. the dealer didn't even have one. weird.

Anyhow, I changed the flexplate. I left the trans in the truck, I just backed it off enough to get in there. After I had it all back together, there was a nasty vibration at 1500 RPM. and I mean like the trans was gonna come out, nasty. I pulled the flexplate back out, and put a set of calipers on the center hole. The flexplate I took off was 2.786. The new one was 3.050. Since there is no indexing hole, I can only assume the flexplate was swinging something like 60 thousands off center.

I went to the junkyard and picked up a goof looking flexplate with the correct dimensions, and put that one in. Vabration is not nearly as bad, but still there. I took a look at the balancer and noticed it had creeped about 1/4 out, and was probably spun, so I replaced that today.......
.............Vibration still there. this is my dailt driver, I could really use a few tips on what to do next or what to check.

And I already triple checkd my crank and balancer bolts...

Last edited:
My truck made this weird "tinging" noise ever since I bought it two years ago. when I put the lift on I saw that it was cracked all the way around. And to top it off, someone tried to weld it back up. I did not have the vibration till recently, unless it was being absorbed inthe broken flexplate, but I doubt it...

oh how my luck just gets better. The vibration is still there, but now a new metal tinny sound (LOUD) is coming from the engine. Specifically form the balancer. I pulled the balancer off, and the slot for the woodruff key split. The peices are now behind my timing cover, and now I have to pull the pan and timing cover to get them out.....ARGH ! ! ! ! !

jephs422 said:
oh how my luck just gets better. The vibration is still there, but now a new metal tinny sound (LOUD) is coming from the engine. Specifically form the balancer. I pulled the balancer off, and the slot for the woodruff key split. The peices are now behind my timing cover, and now I have to pull the pan and timing cover to get them out.....ARGH ! ! ! ! !
That's good news, you found the problem.

Okay, so now that I got everything back together again, the vibration is still there.

Well I crawled underneath to see if maybe I could see something, and I heard what sounded like a rod knock.

A. COuld this cause this 1100 to 1500 rpm vibration?

B. If so, what is the easiest way for me to figure out which rod it is. I' can pull the pan and look.

jephs422 said:
Okay, so now that I got everything back together again, the vibration is still there.

Well I crawled underneath to see if maybe I could see something, and I heard what sounded like a rod knock.

A. COuld this cause this 1100 to 1500 rpm vibration?

B. If so, what is the easiest way for me to figure out which rod it is. I' can pull the pan and look.
Hows your oil pressure.

well, I just changed the oil, since I had to pull the pan. and it is reading the same as it always had, a bit low. But I think that's more from my gauge. I need to hook up a manual gauge to test it. But at the vibration, the oil pressure does not change

okay.....so I did a full tune up, and got the motor running good. Vibration still there. So I unbolted the torque converter, ran the motor, and walah, no vibration. The onlt thing that worries me, is that I did not notice any weights missing off the convertor. COuld it be out of balance? if so, does anyone have one for cheap?....

Back