• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gauge Swap 87-90 Question

88XJSport

NAXJA Forum User
I just did mine, an 88 MJ, and put in a full dash panel from a 90 XJ.....no changes are required if you get a panel with a mechanical speedometer cable, didn't even have to do the tach wiring it was already in the harness. Look at the male plug closests to the speedo cable, if it has a green and white wire it is good to go

The newer Jeeps have an electronic speedometer and it will not work in yours

88XJSport said:
Do these have to be modified in any way, or do they make the mechanical version of the black faced style cluster? Thanks in advance.
There were two styles with full instruments and mechanical speedos. I haven't been able to verify if the change was mid-year in the 1987 model run, or if the change came with the introduction of the 1988 model run. If you have an '88, a cluster from an '88, '89 or '90 should fit. Beware of anyone saying a cluster fits '87 thru '90, because it doesn't work that way.

Get a flashlight and perhaps a mirror and stick your head up under your dashboard. What you're looking for is the connection from the speedo cable to the speedo. If it has a metal push-on sleeve with a thin black metal retaining clip, that's a "Type I" speedo (basically the 1987 style). If the speedo cable ends in a white nylon push-on connector with NO retainer clip, that's a Type II cluster for 1988 thru 1990.

Everything else is interchangeable and the electrical connections will plug in. Either one requires replacing the oil pressure and coolant temperature senders if you're going from idiot lights to full gauges. You can make either cluster work in the "wrong" year by replacing the speedo cable.

from my understanding their are 4 diff kinds of clusters, you have to match the one in your era (represented by one line in the list) regardless of simple styles ( tach, large gas)
1. 86-87 speedo cable gear driven
2. 88-90 (some early 91) speedo cable driven
3. 91-95 electronic
4. 96+ electronic but mount and look different

if you are simply changing bc of styles then simply sweap within the era, if you are upgrading from idiot lights to guages then once again swap within your era but you will have to change 2 sensors (oil pressure and coolant temp.)

pete

tugalo said:
I just did mine, an 88 MJ, and put in a full dash panel from a 90 XJ.....no changes are required if you get a panel with a mechanical speedometer cable, didn't even have to do the tach wiring it was already in the harness. Look at the male plug closests to the speedo cable, if it has a green and white wire it is good to go

The newer Jeeps have an electronic speedometer and it will not work in yours

So are your gauge faces like a bluish/grey with white numbers, or black faces with white numbers????

Last edited:
My 88 came with what look like the same gauges as yours - with a "later" Type2 speedo cable. I found a set that look like your 2nd pic (black faces and wider lettering) in the local junkyard, don't remember what year it was from. Just make sure you get a panel that uses the same kind of mechanical speedo cable and you'll be fine.

Last edited:
Thank you. That is all i needed to know. You told me that there is the black faced gauges with the wider white numberings that has a MECHANICAL speedo. If i can find a black faced cluster i will get that for my gauge swap. I have the type II since mine is an 88. I just did not want to get the full cluster that looks like my blue dummys. Black looks better.

Eagle said:
Get a flashlight and perhaps a mirror and stick your head up under your dashboard. What you're looking for is the connection from the speedo cable to the speedo. If it has a metal push-on sleeve with a thin black metal retaining clip, that's a "Type I" speedo (basically the 1987 style). If the speedo cable ends in a white nylon push-on connector with NO retainer clip, that's a Type II cluster for 1988 thru 1990.

I looked up under my dash, and all I can see is the back of the left side of the dash (gas gauge side), and all i see is a metal "cover on the speedometer side of the back of the dash. I cannot look to see the connector type with that in the way. Do you know what that is????

the factory supplied gauges were bluish/grey....the ones you want are black.

remove 4 screws holding the gauge bezel in place, and pull the bezel away from the dash.....there are plastic friction tabs on the corners, so work the right side away carefully, so that it doesn't break. remove the 6 screws that hold the bright blue gauge cluster, and pull the cluster out enough to see the back side, the speedo cable has two tabs on the white plastic fitting that attaches it to the speedo....depress the tabs and detach the cable... if there is not enough slack, go under the car and find the frame attach point for the speedo cable....pry off the star washer and remove the cable to give you additional slack to make the dis-engagement from the speedo easier....

The Type I and Type II clusters are interchangeable as long as you swap out the intermediate cable that matches the cluster you are using. The intermediate cable is easily disconnected behind the cluster assembly.

Here's a pic of Type I, II & III (no cable on Type III):
xj_clusters.jpg

If it's just the guage plates you wish to be different, mine had originally when I got it from my bro MPH only on it. Being back up here, I switched it back to KM w/mph as well. I hated the plates I had, and found a nice set of '91's and just switched them out. The only thing is is on the speedo, the screws are slightly moved over and you need to drill the small hole for the trip reset arm. I came across one at a wreckers that had done just the same thing. If this is what you're wanting to do, and by the sounds of it, is what you're looking at, I'd see about going that route. The most difficult is carefully getting your guage arms off, but with patience and a good flat screw driver, easy to do.

I recently did a face upgrade. I scanned my existing, and using PS and layers created my own custom faces that were exact to my originals number/line wise. WIth a half decent scanner, pretty easy to do. You could think of doing just the gauge faces as well, and putting them on instead of changing out a whole cluster.

Back