• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Your thoughts on my setup.

88XJ_FireFighter

NAXJA Forum User
Vehicle: 88 laredo auto 242

I am pretty set on this setup, just wanted others to chime in with thoughts.

I will do dakota leafs in the back for about 4"

Front 3" coils I'm not sure about. Rusty's......??

Shocks: Some cheapo ones

Wheels: Cragar soft 8's 15x8 4"BS

Tires: retreads. I WANT 33x12.5. I have trimmed and can/will trim more.

Jeep is all repainted black with chrome handles and grill.

This is my DD. I drive 5 miles round trip to work.

THoughts....

My brother has used them before. He said they got about half the life as a normal tire, but other than that weren't too bad for the price. I wouldn't recommend them for a daily driver, or if you're really serious about offroading, but if it's just a fun 2nd vehicle you like to play around with going camping and hitting trails occasionally then go for it.

if it's your DD, i would not skimp on the shocks.

fryed_1 said:
My brother has used them before. He said they got about half the life as a normal tire, but other than that weren't too bad for the price. I wouldn't recommend them for a daily driver, or if you're really serious about offroading, but if it's just a fun 2nd vehicle you like to play around with going camping and hitting trails occasionally then go for it.

This is just stricly a dd for me only. My wife has a Tahoe that we take anywhere out of town. This jeep is just for me and hunting.

I would look used, there nice deals out there from 300-500 for good shape used 33's

also I would suggest 3.75" BS, thats what Im running and It tucks very nicely but I'd look for others advice....

88XJ_FireFighter said:
Vehicle: 88 laredo auto 242

I am pretty set on this setup, just wanted others to chime in with thoughts.

I will do dakota leafs in the back for about 4"

Front 3" coils I'm not sure about. Rusty's......??

Shocks: Some cheapo ones

Wheels: Cragar soft 8's 15x8 4"BS

Tires: retreads. I WANT 33x12.5. I have trimmed and can/will trim more.

Jeep is all repainted black with chrome handles and grill.

This is my DD. I drive 5 miles round trip to work.

THoughts....

laredos did not come stock with 242 only the limited and some country packages came with the full time option

sounds fine on the lift, a little low for 33's unless you plan major surgery with a sawzall I would shy away from rustys springs, even rancho gives better quality and cheaper

xjnation said:
laredos did not come stock with 242 only the limited and some country packages came with the full time option

sounds fine on the lift, a little low for 33's unless you plan major surgery with a sawzall I would shy away from rustys springs, even rancho gives better quality and cheaper

it has the 242. and its the laredo.

I like the low lift big tire look. A few guys on jeein.com run almost that setup. About 3.5-4" with 33's. That way I don't have to worry about a sye right now.

I'm running 3" with TJ flares and 33x12.50's no problems...I could flex and everything with no problems....I Just added 2" spacers to the front only though for kicks cause I had them laying around....with the right amount of trim you'll be fine...

88XJ_FireFighter said:

I like the low lift big tire look. A few guys on jeein.com run almost that setup. About 3.5-4" with 33's. That way I don't have to worry about a sye right now.

the 242 was added later then. what does the tc shifter benzel say?

XJ99 said:
I'm running 3" with TJ flares and 33x12.50's no problems...I could flex and everything with no problems....I Just added 2" spacers to the front only though for kicks cause I had them laying around....with the right amount of trim you'll be fine...

post a pic if you can. in the front i have no flares and trimed just above the flare holes. I just about trimmed more last night to above the ridge in the front.

Rear I have folded back about where everyone does.

Sounds like a good setup. I used 1.75" spacers & Grand cherokee coils to get around 3" front lift, keep your stock coil isolators in too.

Everyone I know personally who runs retreads has had no problems, but I've seen a few people online that have had bad experiences. I got my set of used 33" TSLs for around $300, and I assume you could find a comparable set for that much, but you might want to go with a different tire than interco if it is your daily driver and you'll put a lot of miles on the tires.

Better stock up on blades/wheels for this combo, you're going to be cutting a lot out to fit the 33s on 3-4" of lift. I got a set of used TJ flares and cut to fit them. I also cut off my rear 1/4 panel to help my rear tires clearance. Make sure you have good bumpstops in the front to keep your tires out of your cut fenders and you'll still have plenty of downtravel and flex with a small lift and large tires.

xjnation said:

in my driveway right now i have a 91 larado with a 242:lecture: with a crack in the back half - but it is a 242 for sure...

any thoughts on control arms?
shackles?
brake lines?

XJ_ranger said:
in my driveway right now i have a 91 larado with a 242:lecture: with a crack in the back half - but it is a 242 for sure...

any thoughts on control arms?
shackles?
brake lines?

Thought about all those. Are CA's needed that bad at 3-4"? Brake lines for sure. Those will all get redone right. I'm up in the air about shackles right now. Will probably add those later.

SPOBI on the retreads. Im running my second set of them. My first ones were 33x12.50 and my current ones are the 35x12.50. The 33's had about 15k on them when i sold the jeep and they had 3/4 life left. Id expect to get 40k out of them if you keep them balanced and rotated and aired up on the street. They ride really good and they all balanced out with suprisingly little weight. They have a soft rubber compound that seems to grip rocks really well when aired down. And the tread voids pitch the mud nicely too. Im sold on them.

xjnation said:

Completely incorrect. In the older cherokees there was little method to what features went on which model. sort of like the tow pkg/ 44 issue. they sort of put what they had around into the trucks. i've owned several laredos and pioneers with 242's stock.

I can only say for the up to '90 models. i notice the 242 is a very rare find in a non-limited model 97+ cherokee

concerning retreads, i dont have any first or secondhand experience with them.
Just as another option to look into; you could look into some wal-mart uniroyal Mts or other cheaper off brand tires at about the $100/tire price range that will wear reasonably. i had some trailblazer mt's that ran like $110 a pop each new and lasted pretty well.

Last edited:
88XJ_FireFighter said:

I have 5"/6" and I'm not running an SYE.. If you get a little creative with a dremel tool on the yoke, it clear's ok.. just gotta watch to take the same amount of meterial off both sides of the yoke.

olivedrabcj7 said:
SPOBI on the retreads. Im running my second set of them. My first ones were 33x12.50 and my current ones are the 35x12.50. The 33's had about 15k on them when i sold the jeep and they had 3/4 life left. Id expect to get 40k out of them if you keep them balanced and rotated and aired up on the street. They ride really good and they all balanced out with suprisingly little weight. They have a soft rubber compound that seems to grip rocks really well when aired down. And the tread voids pitch the mud nicely too. Im sold on them.

Did you get them from High-tec-retreading.com? If so, which ones did you go with? There are like 2-3 different mud tire options on there in the 33" flava.

Back