• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel Tank removal & Transfer Leak

claytoga

NAXJA Forum User
I need to drop my fuel tank to be able to safely bolt through the rear gargo floor. Are their any instructions/tipes aound?

I also have a leaking transfer case which looks like it is coming from where the 4wd/2wd linkage connects in to it. Is this likely and if so, is it hard to fix?

Thanks

On the fuel tank -- it's easier if it's close to empty. And also easier if you have a second pair of hands to help out. Just disconnect the neg. terminal on the battery so you don't have to worry about electrical sparks and try to use non sparking tools, etc, as much as practical. Unplug the connector for the fuel pump -- it's near the fuel filter, which is forward and to the left of the fuel tank. Then crimp off the fuel hoses coming into and out of the tank with vice grips or equivalent and remove the return line from the tank. Remove the main fuel line from the fuel filter. Be prepared for some fuel to drip out of the lines. Then you can remove the screws in the bracket that holds your fill and vent hoses inside the fuel door. Then loosen the hose clamps for those hoses where they connect to the tank --- hopefully your tank is not filled to the brim... Once you remove the fill and vent hoses, you can siphon out some fuel to lighten the load of the tank. Remove the tank vacuum lines from the top of the tank. Now, loosen the bolts from the two tank straps to lower the tank. If it's close to empty, you can just let it come down, then swing the straps to each side, twist them a bit, and they'll come out of the notches at the other end of each strap. Now you can slide the tank out and access your cargo floor. Try to avoid creating any sparks or having anyone light a match or lighter in the area.

With regard to the transfer case, I'll defer that to another NAXJA member. I'm not that familiar with those problems, yet.

Good luck. -Rick

Back