• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Needing TC Guidance

uvaldetxj

NAXJA Forum User
I'm in the middle of taking out a NP231 out of a 87' XJ 4.0 AW4 D35. So far i've disconnected the linkage, dropped the crossmember, taken off the rear driveshaft, blocked my tires, supported my transmission, and taken off half of the front driveshaft. My question is, how do you take off the furthest back part of the front d-shaft? I think it's called a CV joint. It won't pull out like the rear (slip yoke), and I can't seem to undo where the u-joint connects it. My second question has to do with the bolts that bolt onto the transmission. Do any of you have a detailed picture of these bolts. I've looked in my FSM, i'm currently searching, but I still can't find the exact location of the bolts. I'll appreciate any help that comes my way.

uvaldetxj said:
I'm in the middle of taking out a NP231 out of a 87' XJ 4.0 AW4 D35. So far i've disconnected the linkage, dropped the crossmember, taken off the rear driveshaft, blocked my tires, supported my transmission, and taken off half of the front driveshaft. My question is, how do you take off the furthest back part of the front d-shaft? I think it's called a CV joint. It won't pull out like the rear (slip yoke), and I can't seem to undo where the u-joint connects it. My second question has to do with the bolts that bolt onto the transmission. Do any of you have a detailed picture of these bolts. I've looked in my FSM, i'm currently searching, but I still can't find the exact location of the bolts. I'll appreciate any help that comes my way.

The front driveshaft is a CV shaft. To remove it from the TC, there are 4 bolts threaded into the front yoke. To remove those, put the TC in gear, and remove one at a time. Put TC in and out of gear to allow free spin of DS. IIRC they are 9/16" heads. Maybe 1/2". I cant remember exactly.

There is no need for a detailed picture. That TC is bolted on with 10(maybe 8) bolts. Those thread into the back of the transmission. They are in a perfect circular position. One on the very bottom center, the rest spaced 3 to 4 inches away. Make sure you are able to steady the TC before removal. It is not fun to catch on its way out. Oh, and please be sure to drain the case before hand!

Matt

Sorry for the hijack. I'm in the same situation. Do the heads of the bolts the bolt to the tranny face the rear of the vehicle or the front?

Scrappy, thanks for the help. Yeah, I drained the case...I forgot to mention that. Thanks for reminding me to support the t-case. 88XJ_FireFighter, the heads of the bolts on the CV are closest to the t-case. Thanks again.

There are STUDS that go from the TC into the Trans.IIRC it,s 6 .
Wayne

alright, i finally got around to working on this again. Since my last post i've dropped the front d-shaft. I've also found the circular pattern of bolts. This might sound stupid, but do i need to remove the transmission mount? I can lower the trans-tcase plenty to get to the other bolts. Scrappy said there was one on the "very bottom center". My only guess is that it's under that under that transmission mount. Anyone here have any links to some writeups. I almost feel like I bit off more than I could chew, but i'm not quite ready to give up yet.

uvaldetxj said:
alright, i finally got around to working on this again. Since my last post i've dropped the front d-shaft. I've also found the circular pattern of bolts. This might sound stupid, but do i need to remove the transmission mount? I can lower the trans-tcase plenty to get to the other bolts. Scrappy said there was one on the "very bottom center". My only guess is that it's under that under that transmission mount. Anyone here have any links to some writeups. I almost feel like I bit off more than I could chew, but i'm not quite ready to give up yet.

I just got done taking mine out this weekend. Yes, take out that tranny mount and the bracket. Its right under there.

uvaldetxj said:

This is one of the easiest things to do. It looks more complicated than it really is. Yes it is time comsuming but its not hard. Even getting the bolts out was no problem. I would say 2 of the 6 where a bit difficult. A subby 9/16 wrench and a subby ratchet are the key tools. Since my heep is stock height for now I just left 2 of the easiest bolts in there. I rolled underneith the case so it was on my chest. Unbloted the last two and and slid it off to the side.

Back