• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear axel wrap

burl4x4

NAXJA Forum User
Ok here goes the rear end in my 99 xj seems to act like it has axel wrap. When ya take of from a lite it kinda does this klunk thing. Also if ya stop fast and then take off normal it seems like the pinion yoke rotates up towards the floor board. This is really weird. I talked to the service guy at my local jeep dealer and he says that this is normal after about 75,000 miles on the rear springs. Sound kinda fishey to me. Have any of ya out there heard of this and is there a fix?
thanks Burl

Possible fixes, depending on budget and how you use the vehicle, could include
(a) New rear shock absorbers
(b) Dual rear shock absorbers
(c) Short, flat overload leaf similar to MJs
(d) Traction bar(s)

How did you determine what is happening underneath? Or are you guessing? My 2000 with a custom homemade leaf packs clunks now and then, but everything is tight. My buddies u-bolts loosened up twice before his lift settled in. It made on-the-gas and off-the-gas noises when loose. Check the leaf spring bushings for wear. Make sure the U-bolts are tight. Check for a cracked leaf. Like Eagle said, new shocks couldn't hurt. Check the U-joint for wear, or loose clamps. That might be what you are hearing go clunk.

Back